Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How old for Twilight?

Posted by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Max
  • 45 Replies
2 moms liked this

It's funny because I am generally a pretty permissive/ liberal parent. 

My five year old seems to know more about sex than many ten year olds do. I don't helicopter my kids or consider to myself to by super protective. 

But I don't see why 8 or nine year olds need to see PG 13 movies. 

I know my kids are much younger and the fact that have no interest makes this very easy for me. 

But I don't understand why so many parents of young kids don't seem to give a second thought to allowing them to watch PG 13 movies. 

I don't need the APA to do my job as a parent. But I also don't have time to preview every crappy movie my kids want to watch. So I just default to them. If they think it's too much for kids under 13, I am certainly not going to let my eight year old watch it unless I've previewed it. And I have seen Twilight, and I don't see any reason for a preteen to watch it. 

I know the peer pressure is enormous. I know it's really hard to say now when everyone else's mom says yes. But isn't that our job?

by on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:17 PM

Twilight?  rolling on floor

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:20 PM

I've never minded my kids watching some PG-13. My 6 yo daughter has seen all of the Twilights, not that she watches them really, but I'll watch if she's in the room. My kids have seen all 3 "Dark Knight" films. My 3 yo LOVES batman and the joker in The Dark Knight to be honest. They have seen the MIB films, etc. They can handle those films though, so I've seen no reason to censor them.

If there is ever a film DD isn't liking she tells me, and it's off.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:23 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Is this your way of saying your boys don't like Twilight?

I read a post in another group about elementary school aged kids watching Twilight at a party. I just don't see how that's the movie to pick. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Quoting KairisMama:

I've never minded my kids watching some PG-13. My 6 yo daughter has seen all of the Twilights, not that she watches them really, but I'll watch if she's in the room. My kids have seen all 3 "Dark Knight" films. My 3 yo LOVES batman and the joker in The Dark Knight to be honest. They have seen the MIB films, etc. They can handle those films though, so I've seen no reason to censor them.

I guess I don't understand letting my kids make that decision. If I haven't seen it, they won't see it first. 

KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:26 PM

I've seen every movie first, with the exception of MIB3. We all went to the drive inn together to see that. But hey, we all saw the first two.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting KairisMama:

I guess I don't understand letting my kids make that decision. If I haven't seen it, they won't see it first. 

quickbooksworm
by Bronze Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I don't see much difference in the level of violence and language in PG movies from the 80's and PG13 movies today. Most superhero movies are PG13. My son covers his eyes when anyone kisses. He has seen some parts of some Twilight movies (Taylor Lautner is famous in the martial arts world). he is only interested in the wolves Lol.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jun. 30, 2013 at 11:34 PM
3 moms liked this

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting steelcrazy:

Is this your way of saying your boys don't like Twilight?

I read a post in another group about elementary school aged kids watching Twilight at a party. I just don't see how that's the movie to pick. 

He!!, even I don't like Twilight.  I was having a flash back to spending a weekend camping in the woods with a bunch of 12 year old girls 6 weeks ago. All we need to do is add One Direction to this conversation and my night will be complete.  lol

My boys have seen a lot of movies, some PG-13, but I think that the content in Twilight (or at least from what I've heard) would be a little too mature for the younger kids to grasp.  By 11 or 12, they should be fine though.

UGH!  Get me back to my Indiana Jones loving world, quickly!

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 12:00 AM
Ugb! Twilight! Totally not my thing. I don't think anyone should watch that crap. Lol

My 7 year old is into the Avengers and has seen all the movies- Thor, Captain America, Iron Man (all 3), and The Avengers. We also went to see Man of Steel the other day. I also took him to see 42. I typically ask other parent friends their opinions and I read the reviews on Plugged In, the Focus On The Family website that breaks down specifics on what curse words were used and how many, what sexual content is in the movie, and a bunch of other info. They are ultra, mega conservative so I tend to take that into consideration too.

Overall, I'm careful about what I allow my child to watch or listen to.
GleekingOut
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:05 AM

I don't let any of my kids watch twilight. Even my 21yo. Why? because to me - twilight is crap and is banned in my house. As for appropriateness though - I'd say 12. Same age I'd say for Harry Potter even though mine have seen every HP movie and they're 8/10

liels898
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 1:07 AM
I don't see why anyone would want their children to watch Twilight. Not because of the material, but because it's just crap in general. Horrible writing, horrible acting, weird soap opera teenagers with horrible lines.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)