Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

My DD's teacher just died

Posted by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 46 Replies
My 9 year old daughter's teacher took her own life last Wednesday night. We got the news Thursday night and told my DD on Friday morning. What a nightmare! She had this teacher for 3rd grade (just this last school year) and then had her again for summer school (thankfully the session ended on Thursday.) We initially called it "an accident." Not a car accident, just our way of being vague. But, she heard some of the details at her softball game this weekend and that opened up another horrible can of worms. It's tough to explain mental illness to an emotional 9 year old girl. I just feel so horrible for her 2 teenage daughters. Thankfully, they have an exceptional father who is already very involved in their day to day lives. I also know that there are 20 other families and 9 year olds dealing with issues similar to the issues we are dealing with here...so much sadness :( ** UPDATE: Thanks so much for all of the well wishes and advice. Our daughter is doing better as the days pass. Her daughters are too. One of her daughters is a good friend to my niece and said that her mom had been dealing with depression for a long time. I am feeling bad remembering times during the school year that I was frustrated with her quick temper or moodiness - I guess we never know what people are going through. My DD and I are very close, she is like my shadow so we have done a lot of talking this weekend. Her questions all seem to revolve around the logistics. Who is going to teach summer school? Where should I return the books that I borrowed from her? Who is going to take her daughter to soccer while her dad works? When will they clean out her classroom, etc. My friend who is a child psychologist tells me that this is exactly normal...interesting.
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tristansmom74
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM
How horrible and sad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM
That is very sad. Good luck talking to your daughter.
mjimaging
by Bronze Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:00 AM
That's horrible.
debbie26
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Oh man im so sorry
IAMmomtotrips
by Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
I'm so very sorry for all involved.
abcyrusmom26
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
That's horrible. I know that sometimes kids can create pretty close bonds with teachers. Hope your little girl is doing ok.
mama2beautiesnb
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:23 AM
My father in law took his own life a lil over a week ago, so i know what you're going through. We are just telling the kids he was sick for a long time. Of course it was a bit easier to pass that off bc he had a skin cancer relapse juat a few weeks before.
pinkfairy0206
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Wow,that's horrible!:( poor kids and the kids she taught!
GagaNTattooS
by on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:28 AM
An old teacher I probably wouldn't of said anything but my son doesn't bond with strangers well... I'm sorry tour daughter is so sad. Of course condolences for the family
disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jul. 1, 2013 at 9:31 AM

I'm sorry for all involved.  My son's 7th grade teacher committed  suicide in the middle of the school year.  It was tough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)