Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

SOOO many stuffed animals. What to do?

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:18 AM
  • 25 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you get rid of your kid's toys without them knowing?

Options:

Yes

No

Only if they are broken

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 30

View Results

My 6 yr old daughter has way too many stuffed animals. I was able to get my son when he was 8 to get rid of most of his, buy my daughter doesn't want to give up any of hers. If fact, many of my son's made their way to her room. I don't want to just get rid of them with out her knowing. I know a lot of moms do that, I've tried but then she starts to ask me where it is. So I don't do that anymore, but I'm just not sure what else to do? What do you guys do? I'm also adding a pole to find out how many moms purge their toys or wait until their ready to give them up?

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JodiPaulachak
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:21 AM

We took those nets you put on a truck and hung them on the ceiling and put all the kids stuffed toys in one of those simple smile

kblpooh
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:27 AM
Tell her you are going to donate a certain number of them to the hospital for sick children and she needs to decide which ones she wants to donate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM
We go through them every few months and they pick a certain number to give to needy children. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
allornone
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:45 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest dd has asthma the doctor said she could keep two stuffed animals.  She donated the rest and stuffed animals are off limits.

we donate their toys. We take them to our foster care outreach and toy bank for children. The other toys go to the goodwill. They choose what goes.  They understand that they don't get to keep everything. 

frndlyfn
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:53 AM
1 mom liked this

NO way would i do that.  I know the harm it causes since it was done to me several times.   We talk about donating them to less fortunate children via goodwill.  We try to make room for more new ones so she needs to go through her old ones perhaps ones we have not seen out in the living space in over a year.  The only ones i am adamant (sp) about keeping are her webkinz ones and the ones sent ot her by family.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:35 AM
1 mom liked this

I often clean out my kids room when at school and get rid of stuff. The only stuff that belongs to them is the stuff they buy with their own money. That is up t o them on if they want to get rid of it. Unless its left on the floor too long, then it gets trashed or donated.

I went through my kids stuffed animals about 3 months ago and got rid of 3 garbage bags of them, neither of my kids have even noticed yet. lol They dont play with toys though, unless its electronic and they can go on the internet with it. lol

Rosebud27aj
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:37 AM

With stuffed animas, I just gave them away. My boys don't care about stuffed animals. Now other toys, I have to sneak out of the house.

QuirkyMom26
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:41 AM

I have two totes that I keep all of their stuffed animals in. They are tucked away in the closet and every so often I will bring the totes out and they can swap their animals they have now with 'new' ones from the bins.  A part of me feels bad throwing them out because a lot of them they had since they were very little. I feel like I'd be giving away a part of them...and I don't like that feeling lol So I keep them out of sight, but I still KEEP them.         ....for now.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 2, 2013 at 7:55 AM

My son has a terrible time letting go of toys. I do get rid of things without him knowing, but only things I know he has no attachment to. 

He has a ton of stuffed animals and he doesn't even play with them. I get rid of a few at a time. 

JollyMommy84
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 8:22 AM

My answer is yes,my Children have so many toys that they don't even use!,it's getting silly,there are about 5 or 6 boxes with Toys that just sit there and collect dust,once a month I do a purge,I wait until they are gone at summer camp or school during the fall and I get rid of about 3/4 bags of Toys,which reminds me I need to do a major purge and get rid of everything except their hot wheels collection and the train set that has been passed down from generation to generation..The toys I get rid of are ones that they don't use anyways and they never miss them,as far as stuffed animals go our Bedroom closet is monopolized by them,my son has over one hundred dog stuffed animals,holiday animals,etc etc,I should take a picture of them,for now I keep them since they stay in the bedroom closet...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)