Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Backpacks & Lunch Kits

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
  • 33 Replies

What do you think are some good brands of backpacks & lunch kits for a rough & tough 4th grade boy?  My son is hell on his backpacks!  But - I always go with cheaper brands too.  This year, not so much.  Same with lunch kits. 

by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:32 PM

What brands have you tried?  Dd is only going into 2nd grade so she is using her backpack from last year.  Skechers heavy duty.  She has a heavy duty lands end lunch  "box"that her uncle bought her last year as well.   I have you tried the sports ones or hiking ones?   I would invest in a good heavy duty one since he is tough on things.

<< lunch kit

http://www.landsend.com/products/solid-featherlight-lunch-box/id_254906?sku_0=::BTM

aj23
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I orginally bought my son a backpack from Walmart and it didn't last a month into school so I bought him a new one from Lands End and it was dragged along the ground, tossed around and just abused in general and it still looks brand new and so does the lunch box.
They also have a lifetime gurantee so that if it's ever broken or defective they will replace it for free.

Regular price for the backpacks are $30-$50ish and the lunch boxes are around $20 but they have some on sale starting around September and I was able to buy my sons backpack for $15 and the lunch box for $8. It was even less for the two of them because I used a coupon code and had some ShopYourWay points i used to buy it too.  After seeing how well they've held up I would have no problem paying full price for one though.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 3:34 PM
I actually buy the backpacks/lunch boxes in the hiking section. They are heavy duty and last awhile!
anonym00se
by Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:12 PM

We got Dd's lunchbox from Amazon.

It was 10 dollars and has held up for the past two years. It was able to hold a 25 oz water bottle plus the plastic containers we used for her lunch.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:42 PM

I order from LLBean, just got a catalog in the mail 20% off. 

My kids got the recent round in 2010....

The round before that in 2005 (for the oldest 3). 

My oldest will get one that will hold a laptop for college this fall, and my middle one will get a slightly larger one than the deluxe original for middle school this year.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:45 PM

My sister in law used to buy them backpacks at Walmart ever year, and by Christmas I was hunting down new ones.  

Quoting aj23:

I orginally bought my son a backpack from Walmart and it didn't last a month into school so I bought him a new one from Lands End and it was dragged along the ground, tossed around and just abused in general and it still looks brand new and so does the lunch box.
They also have a lifetime gurantee so that if it's ever broken or defective they will replace it for free.

Regular price for the backpacks are $30-$50ish and the lunch boxes are around $20 but they have some on sale starting around September and I was able to buy my sons backpack for $15 and the lunch box for $8. It was even less for the two of them because I used a coupon code and had some ShopYourWay points i used to buy it too.  After seeing how well they've held up I would have no problem paying full price for one though.

momofjkkc
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Ugh I was doing that too. Its so frustrating. I boigh ds a Nike backpack from FamousFootwear, because I worked there and they wer $10+ my 30%off. It last him for 3 years. Just tuisnlast year a zipper to one of the pouches broke si I have to get him a new one when school starts.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

My sister in law used to buy them backpacks at Walmart ever year, and by Christmas I was hunting down new ones.  

Quoting aj23:

huskermom98
by Silver Member on Jul. 2, 2013 at 4:58 PM

Not sure about a 4th grader, but my oldest has had the same LLBean backpack for the last 3 years (K-2) and will continue using it for awhile.  I plan to buy the same one (different color) for my youngest for kindergarten this summer.  I let my oldest pick out a lunchbox from Toys R Us before Kindergarten--it was a Thermos brand one in the shape of a rocket)--and it held up find during kindergarten.  He still uses it, but he maybe took it once a week in 1st grade and then not even once a month last year.  I decided to go with a more expensive backpack and less expensive lunch box because I was more concerned with the backpack lasting as long as possible and was willing to let him pick a new lunchbox each year if necessary.

minimo77
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

Jansport is a good brand, as well as Mountain Equipment Co.

jojobean558
by on Jul. 2, 2013 at 6:05 PM
We got DD a llbean backpack this past year but the loop on the top snapped off. I think she had to many books in it to carry it that way. So I ended up giving her mine I had for work and it worked for the end of the year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN