Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

kindergarden redeness

Posted by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
  • 16 Replies

So my son is 5 and he is all excited about getting ready to go to kindergarden next year... but the problem is he keeps pooping and peeing in his pants and i dont know what to do. i will ask him why he does it and he tells me eaither he didnt want to go, he wanted to go potty in his pants or nothing at all. i have tryed taking spechial toys away and him earning them back then when he gets them back he keeps doing it or he will just keep going potty in his pants but wont earn toy back. so i stopped that snd tried to just do a time out for a 5 minuite period and adding everytime he went potty in his pants. but then i get to a timeout of 30 minuites and then its just seems rediculus so idk what to do i feel helpless and frankly i dont think he is ready for kindergarden not only becosue of the potty issue eaither he has a hard time keeping a sandwitch together.. he has a hard time communicating... he will  do what you ask of him but only after he throws and fit or crys about the task hes asked to do. he has been in a program  sense he was 3 for his speech and development becsoue his biological mother neglected him.. this can go on i just am lost hear and needing a mothers help. please.

by on Jul. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veganistic
by Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:00 PM

BUMP!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this

What has the program said about his readiness to enter kindergarten?  Most likely the school will have their team evaluate him and set up an IEP to help him succeed in the classroom. Talk to his doctor as well about what is reasonable for his developmental age (not biological since he has delays) to achieve.  I would stop punishing but rather reward for when he does use the toilet like a kindergartner.  That is how  i would word it.  Lets use the toilet like a kindergartner and not have accidents in our pants like toddlers.

My dd has fine motor delays so it makes it hard for her to hold a pencil correctly and she has been in speech therapy since kindergarten while at school.

As you are finding out, you can not do it all on your own especially with his history and what he needs to overcome.

Quoting lovingmybabes5:

So my son is 5 and he is all excited about getting ready to go to kindergarden next year... but the problem is he keeps pooping and peeing in his pants and i dont know what to do. i will ask him why he does it and he tells me either he didnt want to go, he wanted to go potty in his pants or nothing at all. i have tried taking special toys away and him earning them back then when he gets them back he keeps doing it or he will just keep going potty in his pants but wont earn toy back. so i stopped that and tried to just do a time out for a 5 minute period and adding everytime he went potty in his pants. but then i get to a timeout of 30 minuites and then its just seems rediculous so idk what to do i feel helpless and frankly i dont think he is ready for kindergarden not only because of the potty issue either he has a hard time keeping a sandwich together.. he has a hard time communicating... he will  do what you ask of him but only after he throws and fit or cries about the task hes asked to do. he has been in a program  since he was 3 for his speech and development because his biological mother neglected him.. this can go on i just am lost here and needing a mothers help. please.

debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:10 PM

My 4 year old does that and nothing I do works.  Put him in school and see if they can convince him.  I am about to do that.  Also ask his pediatrician.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 3, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Have you talked to his pediatrician about your concerns?
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 6:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Talk to his pediatrician. Rule out anything medical.  Perhaps he needs some therapy due to his past situation?  Has he been in school before?  If so, how has he done.  No matter what, please make the teacher aware of this before school starts!

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:03 PM
3 moms liked this

It doesn't sound like he's ready, imo. There is so much expected of kindergartners now and you don't want him to start off behind. Plus a couple of poop or pee incidents at school could have him marked for the next few years of school if not  longer. Tell him he can't go to kindergarten because that's for boys that use the bathroom and don't pee and poop in their pants. I doubt he'll be ready in a month.

Also, op, I cringe at saying this and I'm hoping maybe you were just typing quickly and didn't have time for spell check for whatever reason, but:

readiness, kindergarten, I (should be capitalized), didn't, and, minute, ridiculous, Please use periods, sandwich, cries, since, because. I know this is just online, but you want to make higher standards for yourself and your son. Spell check should have caught most of these. Maybe not since and sense, but the rest. Capitalization and punctuation starts in kindergarten now so you want/need to set a good example.

Now that I got that off my chest, if he's been in a program for delays then what are they telling you??

Spitfirre
by New Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I would try to send him to school, kids do for others and not for the parents, just like kids is good when parents is away but as soon as the parents steps in the door they act up, also they see other kids doing stuff they want to fallow what they see. The earlier they start the better

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 3, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I'm sorry but the teacher doesn't have time to potty train your kid for you. I get your kid's not doing it and then check with the doctor or whatever. But when they get to kindergarten now they are doing a lot! A teacher with 25-30 kids doesn't have time to change your kid and all of that. Plus if they are going to that school for the next 5-12 years that shit can and will be remembered and is embarrassing. This is part of being socially ready for kindergarten not just academically.

Quoting debramommyof4:

My 4 year old does that and nothing I do works.  Put him in school and see if they can convince him.  I am about to do that.  Also ask his pediatrician.

debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 12:22 AM
I am hoping he will not want to be made fun of. I don't expect the teacher to potty train him. He has been potty trained before he just refuses now.

He was fully potty trained at 2 then he just stopped and never went back to being potty trained.

He will not be in the same school or district his whole life and if it does not work I would pull him out. I homeschool my older children and want to home school him but if being around 30 other kids gets him to stop pooping on himself I am willing to try.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I'm sorry but the teacher doesn't have time to potty train your kid for you. I get your kid's not doing it and then check with the doctor or whatever. But when they get to kindergarten now they are doing a lot! A teacher with 25-30 kids doesn't have time to change your kid and all of that. Plus if they are going to that school for the next 5-12 years that shit can and will be remembered and is embarrassing. This is part of being socially ready for kindergarten not just academically.

Quoting debramommyof4:

LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:11 AM

So it sounds like you are having a control issue. I still think it's wrong to send him but your kid.

Quoting debramommyof4:

I am hoping he will not want to be made fun of. I don't expect the teacher to potty train him. He has been potty trained before he just refuses now.

He was fully potty trained at 2 then he just stopped and never went back to being potty trained.

He will not be in the same school or district his whole life and if it does not work I would pull him out. I homeschool my older children and want to home school him but if being around 30 other kids gets him to stop pooping on himself I am willing to try.

Quoting LilliesValley:

Quoting debramommyof4:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)