Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teaching geography

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM
  • 15 Replies
1 mom liked this

I started teaching my son (who is 6) the U.S. states the other day and I am amazed at how quickly he picked them up. I am not a very good teacher but we have a states wooden puzzle and I downloaded a game on my iphone called Stack the States (very cute game). I know geography is not exactly high on the priority list in elementry school and I think it is important to learn them. After just a few days he knows about 1/3 of them without the names being written on them. Granted they are the bigger states, but I am impressed. Just wanted to share :)

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM

Nice.  I'll have to check that out!

family in the van   Mom of four

MommyMitchy247
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:13 PM

My 9 year old loves that app!

He had to learn them for school back in March and it helped him a lot because it was fun AND he was learning. :)

I give it two thumbs up!  

Mocking.Jay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:16 PM

My son's strongest subjects are Social Studies and Science. He knows all the states and provinces here in Canada, and knows most of the capital cities of both countries. I think it's important for children to know not just about their country, but their continent as a whole. It's never too early to start them imo. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:23 PM

We have a melissa and doug wooden USA puzzle since we have family all over the country.  In kindergarten they were taught the different continents and bodies of water (oceans).

jessicaaris
by Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 6:08 PM

I agree it is important for them to learn all of them. Once he has mastered the USA we will move on to the other countries and continents and oceans.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

My son's strongest subjects are Social Studies and Science. He knows all the states and provinces here in Canada, and knows most of the capital cities of both countries. I think it's important for children to know not just about their country, but their continent as a whole. It's never too early to start them imo. 

TroyboysMom
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 9:52 PM

That's neat! A board game DS really enjoyed was Great States, Jr., and Great States. Here, the kids learn the continents and major oceans in kinder, and they learn the state names and capitals in third - those games are really great review tool!

Impressionists
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:01 PM
1 mom liked this
We have a globe. Whenever we read a book we get it to point to the correct country. For example, I'll slow her where lions live. We have puzzles, too.
DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM

We also have some free app and the Melissa and Doug puzzle.  DD starting learning states at age 3 with that puzzle!  It was awesome.  Obviously she needs to keep at it to keep them in her memory, but it also provided us with a way to discuss west/east, north south, etc. with her.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 10:11 PM
We believe in teaching by doing, so my daughter's been learning them as we visit them. To me, geography is more than putting a name on a map. It's understanding the climate, geographical features, and the economics of a community. Therefore, she knows Texas is in the south. It's much warmer than where we live. The are fewer trees there. The grass is different from here. Cacti grown throughout the state. It's bordered by the Gulf of Mexico, and it's economy gets a boost from oil, ranching, and technology. She also knows it's known for BBQ and tex-mex foods since she's had the opportunity to try them.

We have had the opportunity for her to travel, and we try to give her a solid sense of the region she's visiting.

momofjkkc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:08 AM
Social studies was always my favorite subject.
When we do road trips I print out a blank map US and the boys look for license plates and mark the.states on the paper. Kinda like license plate bingo. Whoever found the most and wrote them in the correct spot wins.

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)