Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Grade 1 Supply List REDONE

Posted by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
  • 18 Replies

Because of DRAMA:

For PLS: 

24 HB penciles (sharpened but NOT LABELLED) 

2 Hilroy exercise books (BLUE, DOTTED)

2 Hilroy Exercise books (1/2 page plain and 1/2 page interlined)

1 ruler (MM and CM only)

1 scissors (Fiskar brand)

6 Lg glue sticks (UHU, white only)

1 package crayola or Laurentian pencil crayons (sharpened, 24 count)

1 pkge Crayola 24 count

1 pkge Crayola Markers 16 Count

Pair of non marking sole runners

Backpack

2 boxes of Kleenix

1 2" binder

4 Duo Tangs

1 Pencil case

1 pair of headphones

1 package of whiteboard markers (for smartboard & individual white board use)

1 box of XL ziploc bags

5 boxes of sm ziploc sandwich bags

$10 for school agenda

$10 for craft supplies

$30 for field trip fee

At RES

$50 for bulk purchase of supplies

1 pair of non marking sole runners

2 boxes of Kleenix with child's name

1 water battle with spill proof lid

1 backpack with 2 zipper compartments

(and they rent headphones out - if the child breaks them, the parent must replace with same or equal value brand)

He's going to RES but I just thought it was interesting how different the supply lists were. For the first school, it's all unlabelled stuff, but if you pay the $50 fee for RES, your child will have their names individually labelled on their supplies.  

by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:46 PM

We can order a kit of school supplies for $80.00 out here, but buying everything on the list is cheaper imo.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Does the school request brand name stuff? I know the first school I listed has the option of either purchasing the brand name stuff or giving the teacher a flat rate fee of $50 as well but your child will not have their names labelled on any of the items. Labelling isn't a huge deal to me, but as a parent, if you're paying the money, you'd think your child owns it. At the second school I listed (with the shorter supply list), you pay the fee and the teacher labels each child's name on the stuff, but the teacher also buys 20 of each supply item needed/required, so that's nice. 

Quoting KairisMama:

We can order a kit of school supplies for $80.00 out here, but buying everything on the list is cheaper imo.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:44 PM

What was redone for drama? 

I know a couple of people asked what the difference was between RES and PLS. 

Personally I think "bulk" purchase is more expensive than doing it myself. Our PTA looked into, from info that was sent to us, and I know I don't spend more than $20 per child on actual supplies and that includes a stash for thoughout the year.

Cindy18
by Cruella on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:49 PM
This is an old agrument. Nothing new here.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy51006
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:51 PM
I agree, I don't spend more than like $20. And we save the stuff that comes home from each year to use the next.

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Personally I think "bulk" purchase is more expensive than doing it myself. Our PTA looked into, from info that was sent to us, and I know I don't spend more than $20 per child on actual supplies and that includes a stash for thoughout the year.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:52 PM

Because a member came in here and started getting bitchy with me and it's not like I can just remove her post, so I redid it.

The abbreviations are for the names of the school. 

I went to Staples yesterday and asked when their sales are, and they said not until August, but the supply list isn't why I chose to pull my son out of the school. It was because the school staff handled themselves unprofessionally regarding getting him diagnosed for something, and at the new school, I talked to the principal about it last week and she explained to me what supports they have if he DOES end up having trouble. The resource teacher is young and hip and soooo friendly. I found the staff really greedy and invasive at the other school, PLUS the whole school had gone multilevelled with every classroom in there. It just wasn't a good fit for my son. I discussed it with his pediatrician and OT and they are in full support of my decision to put him in the new school! 

I also did a comparison in prices and even if the supply lists were my problem, I'd only be paying $10 over with the other one. Mind you, I am in Canada, so our prices are different, and most schools do just get you to pay the fee uphand on the first day anyway. 

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Oh, I wasn't doing it for a debate. I saw someone else do a grade 2 list, so I thought I would add mine for the grade. I'm curious what other parents' supply lists look like.

Quoting Cindy18:

This is an old agrument. Nothing new here.

Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 4, 2013 at 3:55 PM

I don't know if we get the stuff to take home at the end of the year. I guess it would be assumed since the teacher is going to label your child's items right? 

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

I agree, I don't spend more than like $20. And we save the stuff that comes home from each year to use the next.

ProudMommy51006
by on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Yea I don't know. At my dd's school, all of her stuff was kept in her desk and individually used and then brought home at the end. She's going into 2nd grade and will be using the same scissors, binder, folders, supply box (maybe more, I've got to check the condition of items) from kindergarten :)

Quoting Mocking.Jay:

I don't know if we get the stuff to take home at the end of the year. I guess it would be assumed since the teacher is going to label your child's items right? 

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 4, 2013 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here. I use my spreadsheet program to make a column of their name; then I cut and tape on everything I can (pencils, crayons, markers), and label everything else with sharpie (glue, glue sticks, scissors, pencil box, etc). It comes home. 

My children each used the same pencil box from 1st to 5th grade. I wash it up in June and put it away. The same clipboard, "art" smock, etc.... 

I just buy more pencils, pens, crayons, etc.... I send in 4 pencils the first day of school, and we keep 3 in the small compartment of their bookbags. They take out and replace as needed. 

Quoting ProudMommy51006:

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN