Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What are home visits???

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM
  • 29 Replies

We went to visit family an hour away across the state line today. There were signs all over the place from the school district informing parents about the "Home Visit Blitz for grades K-12." I've never heard of this. Can someone tell me what these visits are for and how common they are?? 

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

When I was a preschool teacher we did home visits to see the parents and kids interact in the home and to go over things with the parents in their comfort zone. Some parents are more relaxed in their own home. We did them every 90 days.... some parents couldn't meet during the hours we worked so we would meet with them at the school.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:31 AM

I never heard of them either.  Odd to do them through 12th grade.

tennisgal
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Why would you need to see how the parents and kids interacted in the home?? (not being snarky, genuinely curious). 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

When I was a preschool teacher we did home visits to see the parents and kids interact in the home and to go over things with the parents in their comfort zone. Some parents are more relaxed in their own home. We did them every 90 days.... some parents couldn't meet during the hours we worked so we would meet with them at the school.

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:33 AM
some teachers at our school do them to get to know the family on a more personal level. Not all teachers do it, my daughters k teacher is comin next week. Pre k had home visits too. The first and 2nd grades so far have not done them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luv.My.Kidz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:34 AM

To get a better idea on how to teach the kids in the classroom. Some kids learn a different way. It was a way for us to see how they learn so we can tailor our lesson plans. 

Quoting tennisgal:

Why would you need to see how the parents and kids interacted in the home?? (not being snarky, genuinely curious). 

Quoting Luv.My.Kidz:

Follow my weight loss Journey.... I have a weightloss goal to hit 135-140lbs by Oct 2012....Can I do it by changing the weigh I eat, using Body By Vi, and exercising more? We shall see!!!! Follow me at MyFitnessPal

Wedding Countdown Ticker

calsmom62
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:43 AM
1 mom liked this
ive only heard of head start doing this because kids have a social worker assigned to the family for that yr. my parents had their own version of home visits. invariably they would have teachers. principals. superintendents over for dinner or take them on the boat. totally awesome in middle school to have your teacher say after class, see you at dinner. ugh. lol.
momofjkkc
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:43 AM
My mom used did them when she worked for headstart. She always said so they could see the child in their own environment, a majority of the.time the parents heither didnt have transportation to get to the site or had too many younger kids at home and no one to watch them so they just wouldnt go. And because the social worker went and I don't remember the other reasons. I know alot of times she hated it though lol
Pink.Frosting
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:47 AM
5 moms liked this

I wouldn't like that.  It would feel very intrusive to me. 

AlohaTink
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:48 AM
I was just thinking that.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
story0702
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:31 AM
I feel the same way

Quoting AlohaTink:

I was just thinking that.

Quoting Pink.Frosting:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN