Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

does your child get judge for their height?

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
  • 40 Replies

my daughter is 6 and tall for her age. yet adults think she is older and expect more from her as well as i've noticed children around her (school/daycare) who are shorter for their age and seem to amaze the adults with their behavior.

has your child ever been mistaken for being younger or older because of their height and how did you handle the situation when more or less is expected of them?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My ds has always been judged for his size as older. This was especially true as an infant and toddler since he was off of the charts big then. Ie he was 2'4.5" and 25 lbs at 6 months old and people would ask me why he wasn't walking and saying more than mama and dada, yet. I would tell them, because he's only 6 months old! Then, I would get questions about what I was feeding him. He was exclusively bf'ed at the time as he had no interest in solids, yet, lol. He has slowed down in his growth now but he is still 75% for height so he is larger than most kids at not quite 5 around here. A lot of them are tiny! He also speaks very well so people think that he's a small 7 or 8 instead. 

The only time dd was judged for her height was recently when she told some girls at the park, after being asked, that she'll be in 3rd grade next year. They told her that she was too short. This is not the case at her school as she falls in the middle but, I guess they have super tall kids at their school. 

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 10:29 AM

My cousin who is now 14 1/2 always got older for her age, she has always been tall, I am only 5'2 and by the time she was 8/9 she was taller then me. She is now 5'9. Her sister is almost 12 and is 5'6.

My kids are short, my almost 5 yr old is 42 inches and my 11 yr old is 4'9 my 17 month old is only 27 inches long. lol

But they have never been judged at all for their height.

I have a friend who's younger brother was bullied by a public transit bus driver before. We were taking him to a show and he was only 5 yrs old and 8 and over you need to pay for them, he was tall for his age and they wanted him to pay, they wanted proof o age but we did not have his bc with us, it was really sad, he felt so horrible about himself over it, I cant remeber the words the driver called him for his size but it was totally uncalled for.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:12 PM

My oldest was always tall so they thought he was older, when he was three, I had a stranger ask if he was going to go to kindergarten that year. My youngest is short for his age and people are amazed when I say that he's 7 and not 5.

family in the van   Mom of four

Babujai
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I don't know if my kids get judged by others for their height.  My 7 year old is average height for his age, but my 11 year old is a little on the short side.  My 11 year old is very paranoid about it and it bothers him. 

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I'm lucky because my kids' sizes kind of worked in their favor.

My oldest has always been very small. He is on the autism spectrum- he is diagnosed with PDD-NOS, which is high functioning, but until about age 5 1/2 he was low functioning. I was always thankful he was tiny. I think people always thought he was a lot younger than he really was-- and since he functioned at about the age people probably thought he was it worked out.

My youngest had always been big for his age- he has always also acted older and was way ahead academically from a young age. I think his size worked in his favor that more was expected from him sometimes and he could deliver.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 12:52 PM
This is my life! DD is 8 and looks about 10 or 11 (she's not much shorter than my friend's 12 yo). People expect her to act certain ways based on how old they think she is. I've had this problem since she was 2. Once she speaks you can pretty much tell she's younger. It can be draining.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mocking.Jay
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 1:20 PM

My DS is 3'10 and I'm suprised the bus drivers haven't asked me to provide my medical card yet. The policy is children 5 and under ride free, then at 6, you have to buy your child their own fare.

othermom
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:00 PM

No they don't really. My girls are both tall for their age, but there has never been any issues for it

bizkit_fanky
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Dd is 9 but tiny...Kids like to call her mini midget & short pants

idlehands
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:15 PM

My oldest is in the 93rd percitle for height and my youngest is in the 26 perctenile (not sure how that happened lol) and yes they get treated differently I've noticed. More is definitely expected out of my oldest even though my kids are only 15 months apart. My youngest is often treated as a baby because she's the smallest in her class and I noticed she gets more attention from the teacher because of this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN