Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Talking to the principal about concerns

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
  • 16 Replies

My daughters' go back to school on August 9th, which is a private school. My oldest will be starting kindergarten but has been in this school since preschool. We have never had a problem with this school before. 

I was checking out greatschools.org the other day and there were two recent complaints from former parents claiming they tested their children int he public schools after pulling them out and their children were actually behind.

I want to bring this up to the principal, but not quite sure how to go about it. First off when I started going to this school two years ago they were at least two grades above the public in our county in every subject. Secondly these complaints by two different parents supposedly were made the exact same day. That makes me suspicious as to whether they were actual parents.

But either way I want to bring up these concerns before school starts and ask to see their latest stats. I don't want to find out I'm paying for a school if it's now at the level of one of the public schools in our area, which are horribly rated. (We live in one of "those" school districts.)

I plan on calling in and asking for a meeting next week. I just am not sure how to go about asking for this information and bringing up these concerns in the politest way possible.

Any help on this?

by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kellysp6637
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:36 PM

I have two friends who are actually going through this.  Both of their children attend two different private schools and they were thinking on switching schools, and when they found out through the schools that both of their children are well behind.  They are both frustrated and wondering how they can get their kids caught up.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:41 PM

There really aren't any statistics that would invalidate what you read. The principal would have to have test results from FORMER students that had enrolled at other schools. Besides the confidentiality issue, there is no way that he/she would have access to data at those sites. I wouldn't take only two people's gripes as a reason to discount the school. You can't please everyone. Make a list of pros and cons of the school and go from there.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 3:49 PM
I'm just curious...if your public schools are that bad, what would finding out if this is true do? Would you pull them and put them in a bad public school? Are there other private schools you can send them to? Can you trust the principal to be unbiased when giving you the information?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
idlehands
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I honestly am not sure what I would do. There's two other private schools in town. One I tried with my youngest because her birthday is two days after the cut off for the one she's in now and the place was awful.  I would never send my children back there. The other one is right next door to my house actually, but it's incredibly small (I'm guessing 50 kids at most and it's K-12) and I know virtually nothing about it. I may end up homeschooling or even moving to another town. I work at home as a medical transcription editor so that makes it a bit less difficult to leave, but I still would rather spend the money on moving obviously.

I've actually never had a reason not to trust the principal. She's very dedicated to her families at the school and has always gone above and beyond for us. But I'm not sure how unbiased she would be about her own school if I bring this up. Either way though I feel I need to bring it up. I won't feel comfortable until I do.

Quoting coolmommy2x:

I'm just curious...if your public schools are that bad, what would finding out if this is true do? Would you pull them and put them in a bad public school? Are there other private schools you can send them to? Can you trust the principal to be unbiased when giving you the information?

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:03 PM

Can you find a parent with a child the same grade and compare notes about what their child did? Sometimes it isn't the school that is to blame, but that the child is just not able to learn as well as another child, and hence is "behind". Every child does not learn at the same pace. Some are advanced learners, and some struggle.

JTROX
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Just bring up your concerns.  Tell her what you are concerned about and listen to her answers.  If you are comfortable with her answers, keep them at the school.  If not, go somewhere else.

LilliesValley
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM

I wouldn't even call. I'd just email and say I want the schools most recent testing scores. You may actually be able to find them online through the state. I wouldn't feel guilty or anything about asking for info on the education of your child. They should be happy to provide it and have no issues with you asking.

It was probably one student and mom and dad complained if the complaint was made the same day. It still never hurts to be cautious.

idlehands
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Neither of those parents mentioned the grade their children were in or the teacher they had at the school. But I think I'll take your suggetion and talk to one whose son just left the grade my daughter is going into. There's one I talk to quite often and we've chatted briefly about the teaher my daughter will have in August and she had nothing but good things to say about her. Maybe I'll sit down and ask her more about what he learned and the curriculum in the classroom just to feel more comfortable.

And you're absolutely right: kids aren't a one size fits all and there might have been more to the story. I've truly never had a problem with this school before.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

Can you find a parent with a child the same grade and compare notes about what their child did? Sometimes it isn't the school that is to blame, but that the child is just not able to learn as well as another child, and hence is "behind". Every child does not learn at the same pace. Some are advanced learners, and some struggle.

idlehands
by Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I'm starting to think that too.  I'll go in anyway just to ease any concerns and try not to feel bad about it. I'm a people pleaser I'll admit so I worry too much about the "right" way to bring things up.

Quoting LilliesValley:

I wouldn't even call. I'd just email and say I want the schools most recent testing scores. You may actually be able to find them online through the state. I wouldn't feel guilty or anything about asking for info on the education of your child. They should be happy to provide it and have no issues with you asking.

It was probably one student and mom and dad complained if the complaint was made the same day. It still never hurts to be cautious.

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 5, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Sorry, I can't help you but I think what the other ladies have said makes sense.

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)