Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Too many toys!!!!

Posted by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM
  • 14 Replies
I have 3 kids who are 6, 3 and 2 years old so between the three kids there are a lot of toys!!!! They usually collect in my son's room because its closest to the living room where we spend the most time. Anyway they like dumping all the toys out of the toy box and then no one wants to help clean up. They play will maybe 1/3 of them. I'm debating just getting rid of the ones they don't play with to minimize the mess (and also because I don't see the point of having them if no one wants them). But it seems harsh. I don't know if it's because it's normal to want your kids to have lots of stuff? I would rather they have a few toys they really like than a bunch they don't care about. This makes sense right? Would it be to harsh to get rid of the majority of the toys?
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
2Busy4Choas
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I went thru our daughters playroom a month ago and got rid of 3/4 of all toys- Most were broke or parts missing so those wasnt hard to choose lol The ones she just didnt play with I donated to a day care and church- For us, it is easier to keep 2 totes in closet and rotate them out on a weekly basis- she doesnt get bored with the same toys- She is 6 so if she doesnt clean Playroom up she doesnt get chore money

MrsNewman
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:37 PM
1 mom liked this

Get rid of em. They won't even notice. My kids never really played with toys. We have them, and they just collect dust. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

I would have them go through the toys with you to donate the "old" ones to children who are less fortunate.  Tell them for every toy they choose to keep, they need to choose 2 to donate.  Donating their siblings toys does not count.    I know of children who would choose others' belongings to donate so they can keep all their own.

jamianne
by Silver Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 7:44 PM

About two weeks before ds' birthday in early December, we go through and get rid of a bunch of our kids' toys.  Anything that's broken, missing parts, they've outgrown, or just don't use anymore goes - it ends up being about 1/3 of them each year.  We have a small place and don't have the room to keep accumulating toys without getting rid of some.  They've never noticed since they were things they weren't playing with anyway.   

urbpro
by Bronze Member on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:09 PM

You could donate the toys that they don't play with but you could also put some toys away where the kids can't get to them and then rotate them out every so often. That way they don't get bored with the ones they have and when you bring the stored ones out, it's like getting new toys :o) Oh, and my kids have to pick up their mess before lunch, dinner and bedtime. They don't eat if there's a mess, lol!

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:12 PM

I'd like to get rid of more of my kids' toys.  Once in a while, I can convince the kids to get rid of some of the old or broken ones, but problem is, my hubby collects WWE figures, as well as other toys, so since Daddy doesn't get rid of toys he gets it in their head that it's wrong to get rid of theirs.  AND, that they have to collect a whole set. . .  

zinniadaisy
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 8:13 PM

Go for it!!  Get them involved and then take them with to donate to a charity or children's hospital

JollyMommy84
by on Jul. 5, 2013 at 11:23 PM

No it's not hard I do a toy purge once a month when my Kids aren't at home,I have to do a toy purge not next week but the week after they have to much stuff that is just collecting dust and they never use them anyways,I am only keeping certain toys.

JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 12:05 AM
I toy purge twice a year. And my girls use to do the dump all the toys thing too. I told then if they did it again and gave mommy grief about picking them up i was going to go through and donate the toys they didnt want bad enough to pick up. They called me on it, and I did it. I didnt purge the ones i knew they used but i did go through and get rid of about 1/2 of the toys. And now when i say its time to pick up, they do. They are 4 & 6
anonym00se
by Member on Jul. 6, 2013 at 1:00 AM

I go through toys every couple of months. OUtside of the ones I know she plays with constantly (blocks, legos, barbies). I will go through and throw away the broken toys, donate the toys she's too old for, and then box up the toys she rarely plays with.

When we have a rainy day or she's complaining about being bored, I pull out a box. It's like a whole new toy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN