Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Kind of shocked ** edit with list

Posted by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 264 Replies

I was just going over the school supply list that is required for all first graders. And I figured out how much it is going to cost us. And mind you I already have six things that are on the list at home. But it is still going to cost me $75 for the things I don't have yet. Plus they want $5 for reading in the arts enrichment whatever that is. Plus when I go in to meet her new teacher they will give me a list of things they specifically want for thier classroom on top of the list I already have. So in the end I am going to have spent over $100 for everything. And I know they will ask for more stuff after Christmas as well. I am just shocked at all they want from each child and at how much it is going to cost. Is anyone else spending this much for a first graders supplies? Is anyone else shocked at how much they ask for and how much these things cost? 

*edit

they are asking for 

1- backpack no wheels

8- compositonbooks (swen)

2- reams white copy paper

4- boxes of 24 crayola crayons

4- block erasers (pink 1x2)

8- elmers glue sticks

1- elmers glue (4oz)

3 dozen sharpened pencils 

8- plastic floders with prongs (2 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow, and 2 green)

1 - hard plastic crayon box (8x5 only please)

1 -pair of scissors (friskars blunted)

2 - boxes of unscented white tissues

1- package of white unruled index cards (4x6)

1- bottle (12oz) hand sanitizer

Boys: 1 box of siplock bags (gallon size)

Girls: 1 box of ziplock bags (quart size)

$5.00 - "reading in the arts"- enrichment

this is her list for all first graders and the teacher will give us her list on the 15th that i will also have to buy

and they are asking for specific name brands so I can not just get the cheapest of each thing becuase they want specific brands and I will get the cheapest of the brand and item that they want.

Sarah      10-16-06                                     Luciano 11-27-08

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM
6 moms liked this

Here we go . . . I'll be back in a bit with popcorn.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:22 PM
Yes I am shocked $100.00 is a lot to spend on school supplies for one child! Summer just started two weeks ago (June 21st). I am not thinking about buying school supplies yet.
ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM

wow your schools went later than ours. we have meet the teacher on Aug. 15th and school starts on the 19th. and the back to school sales are starting here this week. if i didnt already have some stuff the one list by its self would be over a $100. and i have no idea what all the teacher is going to ask for on top of this list. 

Quoting diaperstodating:

Yes I am shocked $100.00 is a lot to spend on school supplies for one child! Summer just started two weeks ago (June 21st). I am not thinking about buying school supplies yet.

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:30 PM
What I mean is summer begins every year on June 21st. So summer literally just started.

My boys last day of school was June 14th.
diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:32 PM
I have four boys, I can't imagine spending $400.00 on school supplies!
MrsApple
by Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

We're about to shop for school supplies as well (school starts back here on Aug.1st) and my daughter will be a first grader but supplies won't even cost us $20.What exactly is on the list that will cost so much?

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:35 PM

i have two children but my youngest wont start kindergarten till next year. a $100 is a lot of money to us. if it was going to be that much for the both of them it would be one thing. but it is that much plus it will be more in the end once i get the second list from the teacher for just one child.

Quoting diaperstodating:

I have four boys, I can't imagine spending $400.00 on school supplies!

Mommy_Jenx3
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:36 PM
4 moms liked this

I dunno, over the years being here I have noticed I am one in the small bunch of people that never cares about the lists. Ours are only a recommendation, but I always get everything on it. (they also do not ask for specific brands here, but I buy them anyhow because they work better imo) The only things required here are backpacks, water bottles, and a clean pair of gym shoes. I spend a few hundred each year for 2 kids, and I'm also one to send things in like kleenex, or clorox wipes through out the year. 

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Quoting MrsApple:

We're about to shop for school supplies as well (school starts back here on Aug.1st) and my daughter will be a first grader but supplies won't even cost us $20.What exactly is on the list that will cost so much?

they are asking for 

1- backpack no wheels

8- compositonbooks (swen)

2- reams white copy paper

4- boxes of 24 crayola crayons

4- block erasers (pink 1x2)

8- elmers glue sticks

1- elmers glue (4oz)

3 dozen sharpened pencils 

8- plastic floders with prongs (2 red, 2 blue, 2 yellow, and 2 green)

1 - hard plastic crayon box (8x5 only please)

1 -pair of scissors (friskars blunted)

2 - boxes of unscented white tissues

1- package of white unruled index cards (4x6)

1- bottle (12oz) hand sanitizer

Boys: 1 box of siplock bags (gallon size)

Girls: 1 box of ziplock bags (quart size)

$5.00 - "reading in the arts"- enrichment

this is her list for all first graders and the teacher will give us her list on the 15th that i will also have to buy

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jul. 7, 2013 at 1:54 PM

well our list is not a recommendation. and they are asking for specific brands here. and tissues are one of the things on her list.

Quoting Mommy_Jenx3:

I dunno, over the years being here I have noticed I am one in the small bunch of people that never cares about the lists. Ours are only a recommendation, but I always get everything on it. (they also do not ask for specific brands here, but I buy them anyhow because they work better imo) The only things required here are backpacks, water bottles, and a clean pair of gym shoes. I spend a few hundred each year for 2 kids, and I'm also one to send things in like kleenex, or clorox wipes through out the year. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)