Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Is it EVER okay to leave a kid in the car?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
  • 55 Replies

I thought this was pretty much a cut and dry situation, but last week there was a Stir article about when it is okay to leave your kids in the car and Saturday, there was one about the mom who made her 5 yr old son hide under a towel in the car so she could go shopping.

So what is your take? Is it ever okay to leave a kid in the car? Does it depend on age, weather conditions, length of time you will be gone?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:24 AM
A child. .. no never.Not even for a minute. A mature teen sure they can safely get out of they need to
LuvingMy3Girls
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this
I often leave my kids In the car with their teenaged sister. I see it no different than when she is at home babysitting them. I'd never leave them even for a second alone they are 9 and 3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Sure although it's not really feasible where I live because it is too hot for ANYONE to stay in the car. Contrary to popular paranoia, there is not someone lurking around every corner ready to snatch a child. Car thieves, BTW, have no intention of adding kidnapping to their repertoire.
TerriAnne2606
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:55 AM

Absolutely never.  Never, never, never. 

TroyboysMom
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Nope. In my state, it's illegal to leave your children alone in a car, period.

andy88
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:02 AM
I let my 7yr old and 4 yr old stay in the car while I pump gas. As long as I am standing by the car I see no reason for them to get out too.
JulesFairy
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
I do it from time to time. If i drive to my mail boxes. Its all of 3 feet from me to my open door. I leave them in the car while i pump gas. Or while i move the trash down my drive way ( about 20 feet ). I tell my girls to load up in the mornings and sometimes im a little behind them turning off lights as i get out the door. I guess I am confused as to why people are saying never ever.
Op, are you asking for like grocery shopping trips? Because if i cant see them then i bring them but otherwise, i have left my 4 year old keep napping while i stood in the parking lot leaning on my car talking to another mother who was doing the same while we waited on our oldests to get out of school.
CraftyMomo84
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:05 AM
No - my dad used to do this all the time. A lady almost called the police when I was a baby left while dad paid for gas inside. Years later dad left me and the two younger kids while he ran into a bookstore for a Billboard magazine.... somehow my little brother drove our van into the side of the building!

I would never leave my kids unless they were, hmm, maybe 12..? Idk even then coz I also tend to be on the paranoid side

But I also don't consider some of the replies as "leaving" the kids in the car alone. If you pump gas and pay at the pump, or stand right outside a keyless car assuming the weather isn't dangerous, it is not the same.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:19 AM

No, I don't think that it is ever safe to leave a child alone in the car for a wide variety of reasons.  If they are a teen, leave them at home alone since there is no need to take teen everywhere with you.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:26 AM

I think all of those factors play into it. I don't know exactly where the age cut off is, but it's older than my kids are. I could see letting kids wait in the car for a couple of minutes after 11 years old maybe. I won't really know how I feel until my kids are that age. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN