Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Sharing Supplies- Let's just clear this up

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Max
  • 134 Replies
22 moms liked this

I hear over and over every year that moms are going to label their kids' school supplies because they don't want to supply the whole class. 

That's not why teachers ask parents not to label supplies. Teachers ask for the amount of supplies each student will use for the entire school year. I know sometimes it seems like a lot. But kids burn through supplies. Two pencils a week is about average for an elementary school student writing and sharpening frequently. Some teachers like the kids to have new crayons each marking period.  Since you can get them for 10-25 cents on sale they don't consider that to be a burden. Glue sticks only last for a couple of projects and dry out right away if kids don't put the cap on tight. So I know it might feel like the teacher expects you to supply the whole class. But that's really about what your kids will use this year. 

Sometimes I do over estimate. I happen to have tons of extra notebook paper this year. So I didn't ask for as much as I normally do. You might think that's really unfair to last year's class who bought it. But they inherited glue sticks from the year before. It all averages out over time. You might be the mother of a very responsible child who really does use less than his classmates. I admit this system might end up costing you a few more dollars than if you only supplied your child. But isn't that worth the time it frees up for the teacher? 

The reason we ask you not to label is because it makes it much easier to distribute them when things run out. Imagine how much time would be wasted if I have to go hunt through 20 boxes of pencils every time someone needs one? Kids need supplies daily. Even if it only takes five minutes a day that's 25 minutes a week. Over a month it's over an hour and half. I'm not willing to give up an hour and half that I could be working with kids each month so each child can use only the pencil's her mom sent in. 

Another reason many teachers don't want supplies labeled is because the old model of students working in their desks all day isn't how many classrooms are run today. My kids are working all over the room. I have bins of supplies in different areas so they can focus on learning rather than run all over the room trying to find what they need. Again, it's about making sure as much time as possible is spent on learning. That couple of minutes a day looking for supplies really adds up over the course of a year. 

I used to have kids bring on their own and label them to keep in their desks. It was a disaster.  I asked for what what needed to start but nothing was ever replaced as it got used. I wasted tons of time requesting supplies that were never sent it. If I had students keep a years worth at their desks it would be even worse. 

So before you go off on your child's teacher please just calmly ask why things are needed and why they don't want them labeled. 

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
minimo77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I also find that for certain subjects, they like certain colors of things, like those duo tangs, they use say blue for math, red for spelling etc. And they switch around till everyone has the right amount of each color for each subject.

minimo77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Also in dd/ds school they do lable things now, not in k-2nd but after that its everyones own stuff. Extra things they are not used are put in a gallon sized zip lock bag in their cubby.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:12 PM

Quoting minimo77:

I also find that for certain subjects, they like certain colors of things, like those duo tangs, they use say blue for math, red for spelling etc. And they switch around till everyone has the right amount of each color for each subject.

Using colored folders makes life so much easier. It's a big time saver. But I can usually get folders for 1 cent or 5 cents tops so I just buy them myself so I get the ones I want. 

jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Huh, my sons 3ed grade teacher asked for

12 yellow pencils

1 glue stick

1dry erase marker

1box of 24 crayons

1 pair of scissors

1box of tissues

and a box of ziplock

requested a container of Clorox wipes.

Now I do donate extra supplies. This year I am making school supply cakes.  Each teacher will have 15 glue sticks, 2 boxes of tissues, 3 containers of Clorox wipes, 20-30 pencils, 2 boxes of ziplock bags, and 6 boxes of crayons.

huskermom98
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM
9 moms liked this

THANK YOU!!!  I'm not a teacher, but it still drives me crazy when the moms on here complain about sharing supplies!  I guess I don't see what the issue is...especially since I'm not wasting/spending the extra money for the specialized box of crayons or pretty pencils, if it's on the list I get it.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

12 yellow pencils

1 glue stick

1dry erase marker

1box of 24 crayons

1 pair of scissors

1box of ttissues and

Now I do donate extra supplies. This year I am making school supply cakes.  Each teacher will have 15 glue sticks, 2 boxes of tissues, 3 containers of Clorox wipes, 20-30 pencils, and 6 boxes of crayons.

That's awesome! They will really appreciate it. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting huskermom98:

THANK YOU!!!  I'm not a teacher, but it still drives me crazy when the moms on here complain about sharing supplies!  I guess I don't see what the issue is...especially since I'm not wasting/spending the extra money for the specialized box of crayons or pretty pencils, if it's on the list I get it.

It drives me nuts every year. It's starting very early this year. 

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Yes it is! It may be that I am getting older, but it's getting more annoying each year.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting huskermom98:

It drives me nuts every year. It's starting very early this year. 

jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

Quoting jesusismyfriend:

12 yellow pencils

1 glue stick

1dry erase marker

1box of 24 crayons

1 pair of scissors

1box of ttissues and

Now I do donate extra supplies. This year I am making school supply cakes.  Each teacher will have 15 glue sticks, 2 boxes of tissues, 3 containers of Clorox wipes, 20-30 pencils, and 6 boxes of crayons.

That's awesome! They will really appreciate it. 

It will be different.  I have never done one.  I usually just shove it in a 2 handled bag and hand it to them.  Lol. We will see how this looks.

JonesMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 2:30 PM
3 moms liked this

I'm not a teacher, but it drives me insane when I hear people complaining about it. We buy what's on the list, and a lot of extra stuff for the teachers. I kind of have a school supply addiction. I felt like a hoarder last year, but man, the deals! The 1 cent items, 5 cent items, free stuff, Staples rebates that make stuff free or almost free...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)