Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

TOYS!!!

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM
  • 32 Replies

I'm getting tired of all these toys around the house, and the kids don't even play with them!  I figure with an 8, 7, 5, and 4 year old that they would still play with them but they don't!  They watch TV, go outside, play legos, games or puzzles out of the closet, color, and most of the time they just stand around doing absolutely nothing except spin in circles and fight with each other.  All the toys in their rooms NEVER get touched!  I'm tempted to give or throw them away!!!

How about you - love them or hate them?  Do your kids still play with toys?

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 7:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I hate them, My 2 do the sam as yours.  I don't even know why we have most of these toys.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:09 PM

My kids are almost 5 and 11 and a 17 month old, they do not play with toys, unless they are electronic. lol They do love board games though.

My 17 month old does, but only with her 1 train she has baby alive (the walking one) and all her books, that is it. Oh and her ride on toy.

My older girls have so many that dont get touched. lol

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:10 PM
2 moms liked this

If they no longer play with them, I sell them or donate them.  I don't see any reason to have things that no one touches.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:39 PM
2 moms liked this
Turn off the electronics..toys will get played with.
Mish321
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Kids get bored with their toys after a little while. Take some toys and hide them in a antic/basement. After couple of months, rotate the toys. I did that with my kids at that age, and they will play with "hidden" toys like they where new. A little trick my MIL thought me. :-)

aj23
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I got tired of all the random toys so I put everything in a few bins and put them out in the garage. If he wants something I'll help him look for it and it can go back in his room but after 6+ months very few things other than his train sets have made it back in the house. Right now all of his toys fit on 2 small book cases and in the 3 drawers under his bed. The only exception are some train set parts and they are in the closet because they are too big for the shelf or drawer. 

ambermario4ever
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 10:15 PM

i go through their toys twice a year and things that they dont want or dont play with any more get put in consingment sales.

JonesMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:10 PM

Ds is 8 and has tons of toys. He plays with just a few. He has tons of big sets of things...train sets, Tomica sets, Hot Wheels sets, Rokenbok sets, etc., that he never uses. He prefers his Mario toys, ipod, and toy claw machines. lol. He still has several new toys from Christmas, never opened...a couple big Lego sets, games, 2 Nerf guns, art sets...it's crazy. We really need to clean out stuff!!!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Dd still has a slew of toys she plays with.   Why not get your children involved in picking which toys they can donate to the less fortunate and weed through all the broken ones or the ones missing pieces.

jbfcmom
by Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 8:21 AM
I agree, let them help you sort through and donate or sell them. Offer to let them keep the money for selling them. I have done that before. I have also used the method of sneaking things I know they don't touch out of their rooms and hiding them. If they don't even ask about them within the next few months then I get rid of them. I know what my kids do and do not play with and I can't stand to see toys go to waste when I know there are kids out there that would love to have anything.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)