Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you get anxious about which Teacher your child will get?

Posted by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM
  • 74 Replies

Tell me Im NOT the only one lol ..... Just a little background on our daughter- she has several issues- O.D.D, Sensory Processing Disorder, ADHD so to say the least.... it really takes a special person that can handle her.... I seem to get a little stressed right before school praying everything works out. She does NOT like change so its always hard the first few weeks of school.

by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:43 PM

Well, for dd it is a moot point because the 2 third grade teachers team teach. They ability group the kids for math and la and one teacher teaches math and social studies and the other one teaches la and science. Ds's teacher is mostly me but he will have an advisory team of 3 teachers with one primary "homeroom" teacher. He is doing virtual though. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:48 PM

My elementary schooler will have all 4 of the teachers that teach his grade level.  The students are grouped by ability in math and language arts.  Each teacher teaches one core subject - math, language arts, science, or social studies.

Kris_PBG
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM
I know who my kiddos are going to have, so that makes it less stressful...
Hezzy1228
by on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:53 PM

my oldest son's 2nd grade teacher is an asshole, he was bullying my son to the point of being severely depressed, I did everything but get him fired because I was afraid of it getting worse for my older son and thankfully we got him a new teacher but by then the year was almost over anyways, my son was terrified to tell us what was happening because this was an adult. sometimes the asshole teacher tries to play the "nice" card by smiling and waving, but so help me god if my youngest is going to that school when he starts second grade I will straight up deck the man if they try to make him his teacher. That school knows the only reason I didn't fire him was because I wasn't going to use the people I knew who would get it done... that's my last resort.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

Last year she had the most experienced teacher for kindergarten, then for first grade she had a teacher with only 3 years experience and her first year working for our district.  I was more nervous last year just due to all her quirks but the teacher was great and worked the best she could with dd.  She is going into 2nd grade now and all those teachers have been with the school for awhile.  I am sure they have been in discussions about dd already since her former teacher reached out to those of older grades and more experience.

JTROX
by Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

My child doesn't have any special issues, but I always worry that he will get a less than stellar teacher.  There are 8 in each grade level.

balagan_imma
by Silver Member on Jul. 8, 2013 at 11:55 PM

My son's elementary school has 2 home rooms for each grade. The entire grade is then split into four groups which are then split into ability. They have each of the teachers each day. There is no worrying over which teacher because you have them all. 

sharonsolo
by on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:02 AM
My daughter is developmentally delayed, in special ed and IM anxious every time there is a teacher change. I can't stand it. The teacher i thought she was gonna have in the fall has been changed. I've never met this new one.
RMC007
by Bronze Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:05 AM

At least in my school, the administrators take into the child's personality and special circumstances when assigning students to teachers. My best advice I can give you is to work with your child's teacher. Let her know things that work for you with your dd. Having a behavioral plan that can follow your child home from school can also work wonders.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 9, 2013 at 12:10 AM
Well, since we homeschool, it isn't an issue.

However, we go to a charter school so they each take 1-2 classes outside the home each semester. We have never had a bad instructor at the Learning Center.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)