Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do You Encourage Your Kids to Write to Companies About Their Dream Jobs?

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 8 Replies

7-Year-Old Aspiring Astronaut Gets Awesome Response to Letter He Wrote to NASA

by Julie Ryan Evans

Dexter WaltersSomeone at NASA deserves a big bonus, or at least a pat on the back, for this sweet and inspirational story that's been making its way around the Web. It all started with a letter 7-year-old Dexter Walters wrote to the space agency stating his future dreams.

He wrote, "I heard that you are sending two people to Mars and I would like to come, but I'm 7 so I can't. I would like to come in the future. What do I need to do to become an astronaut?"

Adorable, but these are busy astronauts and scientists. The most his mother probably ever expected that he would get back was some dashed-off form letter. What he got, however, was so much more.

In the personal letter to Dexter, which his mother posted on Reddit, NASA wrote:

NASA wants you to know that your thoughts and ideas to further space exploration are important, and we hope that you will continue to learn all you can about NASA's space programs, missions, and accomplishments. Just think – in a few years, you could be one of the pioneers that may help lead the world's activities for better understanding of our earth and for exploring space.

Not only that, they sent pictures of Mars, of the Mars Curiosity rover, a sticker, and a bookmark too. Dexter, of course, was over the moon. Don't you just want to hug whoever took the time to do this?

While we haven't gotten anything quite as significant, my son, now 9, has a penchant for writing letters to companies with his ideas (he wants to be an inventor). I always worry that he's going to be disappointed when he doesn't get a response, but he actually has gotten some pretty great personal ones from both Lego and Nintendo. Each time I've been so appreciative of them taking the time to actually respond and interact with him. Those little efforts go a long way to win favor with adults, but more importantly go a long way to inspire children's dreams and faith that they can do anything in this world.

Good luck, Dexter.

Do you encourage your kids to write letters to companies and organizations?

If so, have they ever received a response?

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 11:13 AM

No. Although I am a huge advocate of letter writing, we concentrate on people we know and REALISTIC goals. I'm not one to blow smoke up my kids' butt. If they wanted to be an astronaut, then I would be making sure that the had the right science/math courses, etc. to get there. 

mamavalor
by Bronze Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:21 PM

No.  But teachers used to encourage us to write to companies when we were growing up.  We received many replacement items and free coupons.  I remember receiving generic responses from local politicians.

My kids' teachers encourage them to write letters.  They have a French penpal and a local penpal.  DD2 got really upset when she didn't receive a response from her favorite teacher.  She was disappointed especially when the teacher encouraged everyone to write to her informing her of their lives after her class.  I think this is very bad of her.  People should follow up on what they say, especially to children.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:27 PM

My oldest is just beginning to read so we haven't written letters yet.  I would encourage him to write to anyone he wants.  You never know. They can learn to deal with the disappointment of not getting a reply if that's what happens (which may cause them to make sure they do reply if on the receiving end of such a letter).

diaperstodating
by Queen24Princes on Jul. 10, 2013 at 5:34 PM
No.
janitablue
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:22 PM

That is a wonderful idea but I don't want to encourage my son to write to WWE to be a pro wrestler.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jul. 10, 2013 at 10:28 PM

I never thought to do that. My kids change what they want to be when they grow up like they change underwear! LOL

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 11, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I haven't really thought about it.

family in the van   Mom of four

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jul. 12, 2013 at 12:00 PM
No but what a wonderful idea. My DD wants to work for NASA one day.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)