Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Does your state have a tax free weekend?

Posted by   + Show Post

Does your state have a tax free weekend for back to school shopping?

Do you do any shopping during that weekend? 

by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Replies (41-50):
DieselsMom
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:33 AM

you know a 10% off sale is usually a better deal anyway....why pay full price with no tax, when you can pay 10% off, and then pay the tax, usually 6-7%..so you are saving 3-4% more!

HisUsmcWifey
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 4:37 AM

Yes my state does(SC) and honestly if I shop or not just depends on what I want. We're military so anything we buy on base has no tax and the exchange here also sells uniform items for the schools in the area.

jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 5:46 AM

Quoting diaperstodating:

I Googled it. This year it will be August 11 - August 17th.

Quoting k1kelley:

MD has a tax free week. I try to buy clothes and shoes then.

This could work out for me.  I need to hit the outlets and I think this is the weekend that I go shopping.  Hmmmm.

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:11 AM

Yes we do. I will use it this year to buy my son's supplies. 

When I buy supplies for my classroom I can use my tax exempt card so I don't have to worry about it then. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 11, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Quoting DieselsMom:

you know a 10% off sale is usually a better deal anyway....why pay full price with no tax, when you can pay 10% off, and then pay the tax, usually 6-7%..so you are saving 3-4% more!

Our tax free weekend is right in the middle of the sales so you get both. But I agree if you had to pick a sale would save more. 

mandalyn74
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I had never heard of such a thing until we happened to be vacationing in Dallas during one. Since then our state (Arkansas) has started doing one. We didn't use it last year because I didn't want to wait until then to do my shopping and I was afraid the stores would be crowded.
Kitten1025
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:41 AM
I don't know about Illinois since it is do DEAD broke that it is not even funny! I guess I will have to google it to see if there is such thing.
RADmomma
by on Jul. 11, 2013 at 8:51 AM
I don't know when. I'm assuming sometime in August.
mran23
by Member on Jul. 11, 2013 at 9:30 AM

va (where i work) is the first week of Aug. and wv (where i live) is usually the week or two after'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)