Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

powers out

Posted by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM
  • 18 Replies
power went out a couple hours ago due to tstorms that passed thru. We have read books & played games but ds still complains that hes bored. How do you entertain kids when powers out?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Seeing as our power has not been out yet in recent years i am not sure.  Dd loves making shadow puppets with the lights turned off.  Do you have an area you could make a fort with blankets and pillows?

diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 10, 2013 at 8:56 PM
1 mom liked this

We charge our electronics ahead of time so we can use them when the power goes out. (Our power goes out often during thunderstorms). We watch a movie on the portable dvd player, we play video games, and games on our phones. When it is time to go to sleep we all go to the basement (we feel safer in the basement). We use flashlights and glo sticks and we all sleep in the basement together.

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:08 PM
They had a "campout" in the living room w blankets & pillows. They also had a tv set where they took being the weatherperson.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Seeing as our power has not been out yet in recent years i am not sure.  Dd loves making shadow puppets with the lights turned off.  Do you have an area you could make a fort with blankets and pillows?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:13 PM
1 mom liked this

dang they are good.   Hard when power is out to keep entertained.

Quoting catevincesmom:

They had a "campout" in the living room w blankets & pillows. They also had a tv set where they took being the weatherperson.

Quoting frndlyfn:

annas_momma
by Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this
When we were without power for almost 2 weeks, 2 years ago, we had the kids do a scavenger hunt. We made up a list of things that would be fairly easy to find in the house and the first one to have all the items one a treat. We did it a few different times. They also went outside a played after the storms had passed. They loved playing flash light tag.
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:23 PM
They have great imaginations. Lol

Quoting frndlyfn:

dang they are good.   Hard when power is out to keep entertained.

Quoting catevincesmom:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this

How about sleuthing around the house to figure out how the storms started?   Next nice day, create a treasure hunt for them with every day items.

janitablue
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM
1 mom liked this

This might sound corny but when we had our black out due to hurricane Sandy. My husband , son and I talked my son said this was the best time he ever had because we were all togther as a family. There is so much you can do to entertain your child but pray for the power to come back on. 

janitablue
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM
2 moms liked this
  • Play with flashlights: While this might be draining on your battery supply, using a flashlight to illuminate the room helps calm down a scared child. Try playing flashlight hide and seek, or making shadow figures. Lightsticks are another alternative for kids to play with. They generally last about 6 hours or so, and kids love them.

• Play cards and board games: Now is a great time to pull out Operation or Chutes and Ladders and play some games with your kids. And while you’re at the store loading up on water, why not grab a pack of cards, and teach your kids how to play Solitaire or Gin Rummy? Or grab some paper and play tic-tac-toe or hangman.
  • Share jokes: Know any good knock knock jokes? Everyone loves a good joke, and again, laughter helps calm down shaky nerves. Have your child make up their own jokes. They may not make much sense, but that’s part of the joy.
  • Tell stories: Children love stories, and if it’s too dark to read a book, telling them stories is a great way to pass the time. Tell them stories about when you were a child, or even fairy tales and classic stories. If you have older children, share scary stories, and have them make up their own.
  • Draw, draw, draw: Pull out the paper, pencils and crayons and encourage your children to illustrate a story. Staple it together later to make a book.
  • Build forts: Grab some blankets and chairs and help your child set up a fort in the middle of the living room.
  • Grab the kiddie pool: If the power stays off for a day or more, staying inside a non-air-conditioned house is not going to be an option in 90+ degree heat. If you’re certain that the water supply is safe, once your yard is cleaned up, you might want to break out the kiddie pool to let your kids splash around and cool off.
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 10, 2013 at 9:28 PM
i love those ideas! Thanks! And our yard is the low spot in the neighborhood so after 2wks of rain our yard is too flooded to play outside.:(

Quoting annas_momma:

When we were without power for almost 2 weeks, 2 years ago, we had the kids do a scavenger hunt. We made up a list of things that would be fairly easy to find in the house and the first one to have all the items one a treat. We did it a few different times. They also went outside a played after the storms had passed. They loved playing flash light tag.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)