Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Has Your Child Ever Been Assigned to a Teacher You DIDN'T Want?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM
  • 58 Replies

Poll

Question: Has your child ever been assigned to a teacher you didn't want?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 69

View Results

Is the answer is  yes, what did you do about it?

Did you talk to the principal, file an appeal, withdraw from the school, do nothing or something else?

by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:22 PM
2 moms liked this

No, BUT I carefully have made sure not to be THAT parent. Every teacher request I have made in the 10 years that I have had kids in school has been honored. I haven't always "loved" each one, but my kids have excelled and been happy and that's all that matters.

As someone who has worked in a school for 20+ years, my advice is pick your battles VERY carefully. If you complain early and often about little things, then when you really do need something, i.e. a teacher change, it probably won't be taken seriously. 

JollyMommy84
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

No,all my kiddos teachers have been wonderful & so kind/nice..

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jul. 12, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Yes, my daughter had a 1st grade teacher who I did not care for. She gets annoyed by everything, is whiney, and yells a lot. I'd never heard of her before my daughter had her. The next year my youngest son got her. Kids change classes for math and reading starting in 1st, but he was in the level for each that she taught, so he had her for everything. We just dealt with it. 

My oldest had a teacher who is not a bad teacher, but had something against him from the get go for some unknown reason, as he's a hard worker and has never been in trouble in school-- has never even had a warning for talking or misbehavior! Anyway, last year I was concerned my daughter would get her. She didn't. The teacher moved to 6th grade and my oldest got her again. lol It went better this past year than it did in 3rd grade. Again, we just dealt with it.

sonshining
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:11 PM

LOL, that's how my son's kindergarten year started. There were two kindergartens. One had the more experienced teacher with a great reputation. The other had a substitute, a very young inexperienced teacher because the original had knee surgery and was out for half the year. My son was put with the young substitute, so we just went to the other we preferred and said we purposely requested her, we didn't know why we didn't get her. She put him in her class, we didn't even have to go to the principal. We were lucky with that.

tashraq87
by on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:16 PM
Nope. I have never had a problem. We were new to district this past year with her going into 4th. The teacher my daughter had was one that my husband makes fun of. Its gross but funny and I dont want to tell story on her.
diaperstodating
by Angel on Jul. 12, 2013 at 2:20 PM
No.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I wasn't thrilled at all about my youngest son's kindergarten teacher when we got the assignment in the mail.  However, I kept my big mouth shut and did nothing.  I know that our principal tries to make sure that every student has the best possible teacher for their personality and needs.  I trusted the principal's decision and was pleasantly surprised.  Our school doesn't permit teacher requests.

Sometimes the best thing that you can do is wait and see.

SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:30 PM

My good friend and I were the two third grade teachers at our school one year. I ended up getting a girl originally assigned to her room because the parents went to the principal and said they had problems with my friend when she was a sixth grade teacher and had their older daughter. My friend was devestated because she couldn't remember anything that had happened. In fact their daughter was one of the most well-behaved students in the class and also did well academically. It turns out her best friend was in my room and the girls had convinced the parents to complain so they could be in the same class. It was completely ridiculous. 

Mocking.Jay
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Not yet. My son's grade 1 teacher is young and seems lively and animated. She talks SUPPPPPPPPER fast which I thought was hilarious because she must have to repeat the same speech to 30 different parents on Stepping Up day LOL! My son really liked her!

mommaFruFru
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2013 at 10:52 PM

yes, last year mo son got a teacher i wasnt thriilled about for 1st grade.. i sucked it up and made the best of it.. she was a fine teacher, and adored my son, i still didnt think she was the best or most apt teacher in the grade, but she made my son feel special and he liked her

this coming year both my boys got teachers i really didnt like, but since we are moving 3 days after school starts it dosent amtter

in our district requesting teachers is not allowed, period.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)