Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Treating or working with ADHD without medication?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 62 Replies
1 mom liked this

Let me be clear first, that I'm not against medications.  My daughter has abdominal migraines and her doctor said that any medication she could give her for ADHD could be hard on her stomach and she's not about to do that to her. (Yes, you read that right, a doctor refusing to medicate a child!) My daughter is 8, not hyper, but has a very hard time focusing for long periods of time (long, as in more than 10-15 minutes). Does anyone in here have a child who has ADHD and who does not use medication? If so, what things can you recommend for helping my daughter focus. 

The 10-15 minutes are when she is doing things that she really loves like riding her bike or working on her art.  Even that can be stretching it.  Time spent reading, doing school work, playing on the computer, etc she just cannot focus.  She enjoys math, but her mind wanders.  She wanders, she is not hyper, but things distract her to no end and you can turn around and she's gone.  Multi-step directions (anything more than 2, sometimes 3) are very difficult for her to follow

by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I would start with a gluten free diet. It's not easy because gluten is in so many things and you need to read labels. I would also make sure she is not allowed to have any food dyes. Again this is not an easy path but it has helped us a great deal. This could also help with her migraines. I would start there. Keep in mind you will not notice changes right away. It takes anywhere from 8weeks to 6 months to see changes. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I have heard good things about going to a gluten free diet as well as cutting out all dyes in foods for adhd.  Have you tried a cup of coffee or tea with her?  Some have good results with the caffiene that is in beverages.  That also may help her migraines since caffeine opens up blood vessels.

BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:53 AM

I do not, but my neighbor and friend has a ds that is, and not on meds. When he is here, I find being firm and consistent to work the best. I'm patient with him, and I won't acknowledge his hyper, repetitive behavior. He's doing it to get attention. If I ignore it, he quits. When he is good, I compliment him and show him attention. I do the same with my own ds, who can be hyper, but not like my friend's ds. 

I do not allow disrepectful behavior. Annoying, I ignore, good, I show attention kindly. It works. He listens to me. :)

jlynnsalazar
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 12:55 AM
This

Quoting Jessiejack:

I would start with a gluten free diet. It's not easy because gluten is in so many things and you need to read labels. I would also make sure she is not allowed to have any food dyes. Again this is not an easy path but it has helped us a great deal. This could also help with her migraines. I would start there. Keep in mind you will not notice changes right away. It takes anywhere from 8weeks to 6 months to see changes. 

skippette14
by on Jul. 13, 2013 at 1:04 AM

My son is 8. We've had the ADHD diagnosis since he was 5/6 in kindergarten. 

We have been working with his dr the whole time.  She is against medicating unless we feel its a neccisity, a last resort.

he too has limited attention spand.  During school if he got fidgety ( is that a word??) we gave him one of those squishy stress balls.  Helped in keeping his hands to himself and within 5-10 minutes refocused.  He also has one-on-one studies for reading and and testing, because he cannot focus when reading or test taking.  School is considering (along with us) possibly an IEP starting 3rd grade in September 

i have a friend who's daughter is the same way.  During class and at home she has those big exercise balls that she sits on.  Balancing helps focus.

best of luck :)

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:15 AM
6 moms liked this
This pisses me off..if it were true ADHD, he wouldn't be able to turn it on and off at will.

Quoting BuckeyezRule:

I do not, but my neighbor and friend has a ds that is, and not on meds. When he is here, I find being firm and consistent to work the best. I'm patient with him, and I won't acknowledge his hyper, repetitive behavior. He's doing it to get attention. If I ignore it, he quits. When he is good, I compliment him and show him attention. I do the same with my own ds, who can be hyper, but not like my friend's ds. 

I do not allow disrepectful behavior. Annoying, I ignore, good, I show attention kindly. It works. He listens to me. :)

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:17 AM

Thank you.  Unfortunately caffeine is often a trigger for migraines :(

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have you tried a cup of coffee or tea with her?  Some have good results with the caffiene that is in beverages.  That also may help her migraines since caffeine opens up blood vessels.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:19 AM

We actually did go off gluten for over a month.  Her migraines were actually worse during that time period. :(

Quoting Jessiejack:

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:22 AM
1 mom liked this
My DS2 has ADHD and we haven't medicated since we pulled him from public school in 1st grade. Since we homeschool, we work in short bursts and let him get up and walk around while he studies, or take breaks between subjects or play with things in his hands while he reads and studies.

I have adult friends with ADHD...
one (who is also in Boy Scouts) sits in meetings and makes elaborate sailors knots, neckerchief sliders and other decorative items under the table while listening and then gives them as gifts.

Another is in Corporate accounting at an office job and gets up and walks around the office as needed. It isn't an issue as long as his job is done...

Those are the skills I teach DS.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 13, 2013 at 3:23 AM
I don't know much about abdominal migraines. I know caffeine helps my complex migraines. ((Hugs and good luck))
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN