Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

You bought what?

Posted by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
  • 36 Replies
With all these posts about how expensive school supplies are I want to know a few things:
1. How much did you spend on supplies?
2. What was your most expensive item?
3. How much did you spend on extras (lysol wipes, hand sanitizer, etc)
4. How much did you spend on clothes? Did you have to get a uniform?
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sallymaggie
by on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:20 PM
We start in September so we wait till August to start shopping.
cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:22 PM
We have never gotten a list and I doubt we'll get one this year. I do buy tons of pencils, crayons, markers, construction paper, for the house because I know ds uses them, loses them, and ruins them a lot. I spend about $35 including two ten dollar character book bags (he loves them but they're cheap). The book bags are my most expensive item, he's going to third grade.

I donate crayons, pencils, tissues, wipes, etc to the class. This usually costs around $20 and I'llsend in throughout the year as needed.

Ds's uniform is my biggest expense. Dress pants $15 each and shirts are $6 each. This is the cheapest I've found them for. I buy six of each and replace as needed throughout the year.
jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Same here.

Quoting sallymaggie:

We start in September so we wait till August to start shopping.
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 2:33 PM

Honestly, for 3 kids, our school supply list is VERY long for each kid AND they want specific items (plastic, two pocket folders in red, yellow, orange, blue, and green, for example).  Because of that we can't always get everything on sale.  Just for the supplies (no backpacks and such) for ALL 3 kids, runs us about $100.  Backpacks we try and recycle from the year before.  My oldest will get a new one because he recycled he from the year before, so he is due a new one.  The other two can keep theirs, but they might get a new charm just a spiff it up a bit.  They do wear uniforms (thank goodness!!!) and we are able to stock up on the pants, skirts, and shorts at Old Navy when they have their Stuff-N-Save sale.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:01 PM

DD will be using her backpack from last year since it is still in good shape.  No uniforms so she wears whatever clothes we have that fit her.  We do buy her a first day of school outfit though, a nice little tradition.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:03 PM

next month is tax free weekend so i havent bought anything yet. but i dont spend much. all the school supplies are under a dollar, and i go to good will and stuff like that for cute clothes.

mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:06 PM

I spent about $350 for uniform clothing today for 2 kids. I *still* have to get khaki skirts for my youngest, some long sleeve polos, and from the school- a field day shirt for my youngest, sweatshirts for both, and a new logo shirt for each of them- that will be about $100. 
Supplies- about $50 for the 2 of them...I do have to get a lunch bag for my youngest this year.

My most expensive thing is tuition and clothes. They go to private school.  

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:14 PM
When is that sale at Old Navy? Do their clothes last?

Quoting anotherandree:

Honestly, for 3 kids, our school supply list is VERY long for each kid AND they want specific items (plastic, two pocket folders in red, yellow, orange, blue, and green, for example).  Because of that we can't always get everything on sale.  Just for the supplies (no backpacks and such) for ALL 3 kids, runs us about $100.  Backpacks we try and recycle from the year before.  My oldest will get a new one because he recycled he from the year before, so he is due a new one.  The other two can keep theirs, but they might get a new charm just a spiff it up a bit.  They do wear uniforms (thank goodness!!!) and we are able to stock up on the pants, skirts, and shorts at Old Navy when they have their Stuff-N-Save sale.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:29 PM
I will spend about $150 on school supplies for my three kids. We homeschool so it includes printer ink, reams of paper, etc.

My most expensive.item this year...new zipper folders for two of the kids for Boy Scouts.

I don't include clothes in my budget as we buy as needed all year.
anotherandree
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2013 at 3:36 PM

One is going on this week, but they have them a few times through out the year.  Their clothes, for the most part do last.  My 8 yr old daughter is, by far, the hardest on her clothes.  Her pants rarely last 6 months without getting holes in the knees.  It is really sad because they even have reinforced knees.  My 6 yr old is also hard on his pants but not quite as bad.  My 8yr old, we had no problem except he outgrew his right at the very end.

Quoting cjsmom1:

When is that sale at Old Navy? Do their clothes last?

Quoting anotherandree:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)