Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Shared School Supplies

Posted by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM
  • 85 Replies

Every year this seems to be a issues with so many parents that I know... I get that they do this so that children that do not have the money to afford supplies can have some as well. But I would rather just buy extra if the teacher needs it or just send a little extra just in case it is needed. 

But it is crazy that I have to buy 2-24ct boxes of crayons and 2-24ct boxes of #2 pencils for each of my children on top of all the other 1000's of things I have to buy... Last year it was the same way and i sent everything... Hated that I had to but I did and this year I just dont think I can. 

I ended up spending a lot of money on school supplies last year for my children to never come home with crayons, pencils, scissors, markers, glue or anything to complete homework with because the teacher has everything shared in the classroom so the children are not allowed to bring it home. 

Then I go into the classroom and see what it is that my child is using at at a table of four kids there is two small cans of broken crayons and pencils that are way to short to be getting used. 

what are your feelings on this and how have you gone about it?

by on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I buy supplies throughout the year for at home and at school so when teacher needs it , no big deal to me.  I have also emailed the teacher to see if they needed extras in any of the basic stuff like handwipes, tissues, hand sanitizer etc.  At the end of year dd has come home with tons of supplies.   Last year the teacher labeled each box of crayons for the students and the broken ones went into community supply on table.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:40 PM
I buy extra for home and school. I know my ds can be rough with things like crayons so I buy extra when it's on sale. Kids break crayons and pencils all the time so 2 boxes sounds completely reasonable to me.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:43 PM
3 moms liked this

Wow! Two in less than 8 hours. Maybe instead of getting popcorn, I'll move straight to the beverages.

Jadnorton
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
We went through as much glue, crayons, and markers that they are asking for at home last year so I think it's reasonable. I also don't mind shared supplies espically with center based learning. It just makes more sense.
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:45 PM
2 moms liked this

I KNOW how hard kids are on supplies so purchasing two 50 cent boxes of crayons is the least of my concerns. The moms that are put out by simple, inexpensive, elementary supplies are in for a RUDE awakening in junior/middle school and high school. SMH

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:46 PM

I just buy a ton of stuff when it's on sale (right now) and hold on to it.  Two boxes of crayons and 2 boxes of pencils don't last long anyway.  I went to Wal Mart yesterday and now have a duffel bag almost full of stuff.  Boxes of crayons, pencils, erasers, glue, glue sticks, you name it, I probably bought it.  I do this every year since the crayons are 50 cents, pencils are a dollar.  Love it! :)

Jadnorton
by Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:47 PM
1 mom liked this
If your beverages include alcohol... Please have one for this pregnant mama. :)

Quoting mjande4:

Wow! Two in less than 8 hours. Maybe instead of getting popcorn, I'll move straight to the beverages.

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:49 PM
1 mom liked this

Or, just don't open the supply posts.

Why the need to mock?

Quoting mjande4:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM
2 moms liked this

My sons' school doesn't have community supplies, but it never occured to me to want any of the supplies I buy for school to come home for homework.  I expect to supply whatever it needed for homework in addition to what I supply for school.

Maries_Mom23
by Bronze Member on Jul. 15, 2013 at 5:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Seriously!  Five dollars on pencils and crayons is NOTHING compared to Middle School/High School.  Mine are still in elementary, but my friend has kids that are in Middle/High School and their school supply lists are expensive!  Special calculators, certain size binders for each class,  It's big time! 

Quoting mjande4:

I KNOW how hard kids are on supplies so purchasing two 50 cent boxes of crayons is the least of my concerns. The moms that are put out by simple, inexpensive, elementary supplies are in for a RUDE awakening in junior/middle school and high school. SMH

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)