Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

APD - Auditory Processing Dissorder

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM
  • 8 Replies
Has anyone here had there son/daughter diagnosed with APD? I am just wondering what steps have been done or what assistance has been given in school.
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Sorry, I haven't had to deal with that.  I would guess that once you have a diagnosis, you'd have an IEP meeting with the school to discuss what services and/or assistance he would need.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:42 AM

My daughter was prompted with visual cues... written instructions, task bar, etc. My daughter often writes lists that she can refer to. She often misses or forgets steps. I also have to prompt her to keep eye contact and repeat back what she has heard and repeat or correct her until she gets it and can remember it. You just have to have patience, and realize they are not purposely trying to not understand. She does often get frustrated and angry with me, but i have to keep asking to make sure she understands correctly. She also has speech therapy, which has been a fight to continue b/c her articulation is good.

This might help for more info: http://www.scilearn.com/alldocs/mktg/10035-952MYoungCAPD.pdf

pj2becca21
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:56 AM

I have it my self. I was in speical ed class from 2nd grade to 10th grade. I only started to impove and find my nich in 7th grade when I was put in a smaller class and had time with my teacher to really learn. She was able to bring my reading level from a kindergardener up to 10th grade. From there I did more work on my own. I have brought it up to a college level.

Spelling and grammar are not my strongest, but I work around it and I try. 

I will let you know that yes your child will be made fun of, yes they will struggle and fail class, yes they will not want to go to school, but what they need to remember is that there are people just like them who work through it every day.

Hannahluvsdogs
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:25 AM

My friend's daughter has it. She has an IEP and gets an assigned seat in the front of the classroom, written directions, and another student is designated her "buddy" to help her with any instructions she misses.

TroyboysMom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:28 PM

My brother has an APD. Depending on how severe the APD is obviously affects what accommodations will be made (or if there are any other associated issues.). Do you have more information?

emarin77
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:35 PM

Well I have APD and I'm 36.  I was diagnosed at age 30 by a specialized audiologist.   APD was not known in the 80s.  My parents knew there was something wrong with my processing at age 3 so I went to a rehab hospital that directed me to an ESL preschool.  I received speech therapy throughout my pre and elememtary school years.  I was seen by a school phycologist at the end of my 12th year because I did poorly on my SAT.  She made it possible for me to receive modified testing at college; test alone with extra time.

After I was diagnosed at age 30 I went directly to see a speech pathologist that taught me and my family how to communicate together.  I have the list that I still use today. 

Pukalani79
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM

They are just now starting the process to see if that might be something my daughter is struggling with

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 16, 2013 at 2:48 PM

I don't have a child with APD but I'm sure if you have a diagnosis from a doctor, give it to the school and they will do an IEP to help the child. 

family in the van   Mom of four

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)