Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Birthday Parties

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
  • 18 Replies
I need a little help. My b/g twins will be turning 7 in October and I want t have a party for them. I can't have it at my house as there is not enough room. We will be inviting their whole class (which will roughly be about 22 children). I know that not everyone will make it but that is my rough estimate. My problem is...I don't want to spent an arm and a leg and I don't want to do it at chuckEcheese or a bounce place or anything like that. Something that is different and cool, but that is where I get stuck for a party in October...HELP!
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Why not do a local park?  That is what dd's friend did for her october birthday.  The children had fun with the various games set up or free play on playground.  They had a game where an adult or older child was dressed up as a pig (from angry birds) and one at a time threw water balloons at them using the balloon sling shot.

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:32 AM

At 7, I'd scale down the parties... and have two, one for each child. Just because they are twins doesn't mean they should always be done together. I am a twin with a brother. We had different friends, even as early as 7. Smaller parties are also more manageable. Ask your children who they really want at their party. They may not like everyone in their class. I know my daughter who is 8 knew who she did and didn't want at her party.

But, if you want to do the whole class.... try a tie dying party in your backyard or a park. You can get shirts as low as $3.50 from Hobby Lobby.... and it can be taken home as a keepsake in the goodybag.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 12:33 AM
1 mom liked this

Is there a local pumpkin patch?  I had my son's birthday party at a pumpkin patch when he was 6, I think.  We got to go on a hayride out to the field to pick pumpkins, each kid got to take a pumpkin home so no goody bag needed.  They also had  petting zoo, corn maze, sack races, and face painting.  We had cake and ice cream under a pavillion.

STVUstudent
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:17 AM

My B/G twins turn 6 in September, and we will be doing a joint party as well...  luckily, we can do it at home.

you may want to google "birthday party venues" in your city... I know around here, there are a lot of different options.  The gym where my kids have gymnastics does parties, and the indoor pool at the rec center does as well... there is a sports center where you can do parties also... The movie theater does parties as well, as do skating rinks.  Many kids this age love to skate...

A month or so ago, my kids went to a party at one of the city rec centers... center rental was about $150, and the family did arts and crafts and played games and ate hotdogs... it was really good, because they had a LOT of kids there...

Personally, I HATE chuckee cheese and have avoided it so far...  Bounce houses are okay, but getting a little stale.

MyLittleMunchie
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I have the same issue, my dd bday is the first week of October.  A park party is never a sure thing because of the possibility of rain & by Oct it can get pretty cold.  You can check with parks in your area to see if they have an enclosed space that you can keep the cake & food.  Then regardless of the weather, you can be dry & warm. 

Another idea is to check your local movie theatres.  A lot of theatres now have party packages where they give you a party room & will give you a group discount for the kids to watch a children's movie.

MommaTasha1003
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:23 AM
well what is available in your area can make a difference..... Zoo, Kids Museum, A Farm... We have an "old mcdonalds farm" the kids love... you can see animals, ride horses & swim if pool is open & they have big playgrounds.. what about a skating rink? sometimes gyms have party rentals & you can play games.
MyLittleMunchie
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Oh, also check your local zoo.  The one by me has party packages & they bring petting animals into the party.

confused0701
by Bronze Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 9:30 AM

Eh.  I solved the issue of a huge party this year with my daughter by letting her pick 2 friends and I took the 3 of them to a hotel with an indoor pool for the night and took the makeup collection and nail polish and let them go to town.  I picked up cupcakes and drinks and popcorn and we ordered in pizza from a local place that was only 10 or so bucks!  Simple and easy!

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Silver Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:54 AM

I love the idea of a pumpkin patch or hayride or corn maze.  A local park would be good too with a fall theme.  You could do some fun fall crafts and play.

I am not sure what you have in the area or what you consider cheap, but DD is the same age and has really enjoyed roller skating parties.  In our area, there is one rink that is super inexpensive.  Two hours of skating and pizza/drink for $150. 

anonym00se
by Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I'd do a Halloween party! Lol.

What DH and I did- We rented a room from the rec center (it was like 80 dollars), and did a Lego Themed party.

I had tables set up for the kids, had Lego themed games (build the biggest tower in 30 seconds!). I bought yellow giftbags/cups and drew faces on them with a sharpie.

I bought a mold and melted chocolate in them, so they had lego figure candy in the goody bags. It was a lot of fun.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)