Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Help! Preschool!

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM
  • 12 Replies

Long story short,

DD4 is starting preschool this fall.  At the end of last school year, I started phasing her out of daycare.  She spent two weeks with me at a summer daycamp that I was working at and practically HATED every minute of it.  The daycamp is in a school, and she calls it the "brown school".  Every morning, she said, "Mommy, I don't want to go to the brown school!  I want to go to my green school (daycare)."  

So, now I have 2 weeks off of summer camp and the preschool she will be attending has a preschool welcome camp.  The camp is 1 hour a day for 3 days.  Today, we went and the teachers told me she cried for 35 minutes of the hour.  And they said she wasn't just crying, she was screaming crying.  

I'm at a loss.  She starts the preschool at the end of August.  I really feel like it's time for her to be out of the daycare setting.  I know transitioning is hard, but I want my child to be happy, not miserable :(  She is coming to camp with me for 2 more weeks, which I'm dreading, but I don't have any choice because her daycare doesn't open early enough for me to drop her off before I leave for camp.

I feel like an awful mommy!  Did any other mommies have a difficult time transitioning into preschool or kindergarten?  How did you help your child?  I need some tips! 

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Bump

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:22 PM

My kids never had any issues. Maybe you should send her to a camp where you are NOT accessible.

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I've already payed for her to go where I'm going:(  I foolishly thought it would be better if I was there, but I was wrong.  I'm hoping the next session will be better because she'll be more used to it.

Quoting mjande4:

My kids never had any issues. Maybe you should send her to a camp where you are NOT accessible.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't personally, but my sister went ahead and kept her oldest in daycare up until kindergarten. She plans on doing the same w/ her younger one. The kids still learn everything they need to know for K, and you don't have to worry about extra before/after school care yet.

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:29 PM

Her daycare has been having issues, so I felt like it was a great time to transition.  Her main daycare provider was killed in a fire and there have been a string of 'replacements' since her.  I might have to check with the school and see if I can get a refund.

Quoting wakymom:

I don't personally, but my sister went ahead and kept her oldest in daycare up until kindergarten. She plans on doing the same w/ her younger one. The kids still learn everything they need to know for K, and you don't have to worry about extra before/after school care yet.

frndlyfn
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Yeah you are stuck between a rock and hard place.  I would perhap look into a different school setting for her in the fall to see how she adapts.  i know a girl who hated kindergarten but is loving summer day camp through a local preschool/daycare center that is open for older children.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:32 PM

We didn't experience this. I really don't know what to say.

Have you asked your daughter why she doesn't like the brown school?

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:35 PM

I've asked her, but she hasn't told me.   I'm sure she will one day.  The other day, I asked her why she didn't like her dance class.  She said it was because all the other girls wore princess dresses and she didn't like her ballerina costume.  But, she wouldn't tell me that at the time!  LOL!  I would have gone out and bought her a princess dress!  It could just be that she misses her friends from the "green school".

Quoting Barabell:

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:38 PM

The friendship reason is probably the right one. We moved to another state shortly before my son started kindergarten, and he had a hard time with missing his friends from daycare/preschool in our old state. I kept explaining to him that those kids weren't going to the same school we had him enrolled in (since daycare was near my work, not the school), so he wouldn't be going to school with those friends anyhow. Since he was so young at the time, he really didn't understand what I was trying to explain to him until around 2nd grade or so....and by then he was happy with all the friends at his current school.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

I've asked her, but she hasn't told me.   I'm sure she will one day.  The other day, I asked her why she didn't like her dance class.  She said it was because all the other girls wore princess dresses and she didn't like her ballerina costume.  But, she wouldn't tell me that at the time!  LOL!  I would have gone out and bought her a princess dress!  It could just be that she misses her friends from the "green school".

Quoting Barabell:

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:40 PM

Did you do anything to help him adjust, or did it just get better with time?

Quoting Barabell:

The friendship reason is probably the right one. We moved to another state shortly before my son started kindergarten, and he had a hard time with missing his friends from daycare/preschool in our old state. I kept explaining to him that those kids weren't going to the same school we had him enrolled in (since daycare was near my work, not the school), so he wouldn't be going to school with those friends anyhow. Since he was so young at the time, he really didn't understand what I was trying to explain to him until around 2nd grade or so....and by then he was happy with all the friends at his current school.

Quoting Rbrown72707:

Quoting Barabell:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)