Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

This is not right

Posted by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

Yesterday on the radio I heard that a Principal of a school for children with special needs was arrested for his THIRD DUI over the weekend. Then they proceeded to announce that along with the other two DUI's, he also had a felony for battery. HOW IN THE WORLD IS THIS MAN A PRINCIPAL DEALING WITH CHILDREN?? Don't Principal's have to go through background checks? I am a little disturbed by this. I certainly wouldn't want a violent drunk running my child's school! Thoughts??

in loveGina

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Was he drinking during school hours?  I agree about the battery charge though.  Any violence charges should be frowned upon.  Unless he was actually found guilty I do not think it could be used against him for employment.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

This. It's like ANY place of employment. Even the battery charge could be questionable. 

Quoting frndlyfn:

Was he drinking during school hours?  I agree about the battery charge though.  Any violence charges should be frowned upon.  Unless he was actually found guilty I do not think it could be used against him for employment.

janitablue
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Maybe it is me everyone deserve a second chance hopeful the board of education in your community will look at charges and make adjustment that needs to be ............

Quoting frndlyfn:

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I would want to know more details before really deciding how i feel.... Just a vague dui and battery charge can mean anything.

Quoting janitablue:

Maybe it is me everyone deserve a second chance hopeful the board of education in your community will look at charges and make adjustment that needs to be ............

Quoting frndlyfn:

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 6:32 PM

Exactly!  ANYONE can get charged for ANYTHING.  It does NOT mean that they are automatically guilty.  That's what's great about our criminal system.  There's an assumption of innocence UNTIL PROVEN guilty.

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would want to know more details before really deciding how i feel.... Just a vague dui and battery charge can mean anything.

Quoting janitablue:

Quoting frndlyfn:

cjsbmom
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:10 PM

If he was only charged, and never convicted, it wouldn't show up on his background check. Sadly, that's the way it works. 

We had a teacher around here who had been arrested for drugs several times, but never actually charged. It never showed up on his background checks. 

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:37 PM
3 moms liked this

Drunk driving isn't an automatic for losing a teaching/administrative job, especially if it happens when it's not school hours.

Also, maybe he got in a fight because someone hit him first and he was defending himself. A lot of times they charge both people.

It's easy to sit in judgment when you don't have all the facts.

Rbrown72707
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I took a class in school law.  He can lose his job over the DUI's, but it's up to the school  system to choose to fire him.

Mom2Kyle03
by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 10:03 PM

He was a CONVICTED FELON ladies. The DUI's were not during school hours but THREE DUI's show a pattern to me and then a CONVICTED FELON? Shows he has issues IMO...

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 17, 2013 at 3:19 PM

Is this a public school or private school?

I believe in all states, public school teachers and higher administration have to be licensed by the state. They should be denying the license if he has those kinds of felonies, but my guess, it's on a case-by-case basis. Without all the facts, it's hard to understand what's going on.

If it's a private school, they can hire whomever they want to. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)