Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What kind of food do you send to school for your kids lunch or snacks?

by on Jul. 16, 2013 at 7:57 PM
Replies (21-30):
susieQ680
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM

Quoting sahmw2010:

Nothing, they get their lunch there. Lol.

sahmw2010
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:27 PM
Same here. They even have a salad bar. I look at the months menu, an anything i would send her would be junk compaired to hot lunch, so i just send the money for a month of lunches. Lol

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Same, LOL. We're lucky that his district actually serves pretty healthy lunches and provides all you can eat fruit and veggies.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Same here (having a salad bar). Briefly, my son actually was begging us to pack his lunch because his friends that pack have more junk food in it than the school lunches provide. Once I explained to him that his packed lunch wouldn't contain that junk food anyhow, he decided he was happy again with the school lunches...LOL

Quoting sahmw2010:

Same here. They even have a salad bar. I look at the months menu, an anything i would send her would be junk compaired to hot lunch, so i just send the money for a month of lunches. Lol

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting sahmw2010:

Same, LOL. We're lucky that his district actually serves pretty healthy lunches and provides all you can eat fruit and veggies.

SciFiMama91
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 3:42 PM
1 mom liked this

I've got a rather large list written up of all the things he likes that are possible to send. I'll go find it and post during lunch.

anonym00se
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:13 PM

We usually do leftovers. Our school is peanut free, so  am very cautious not to send things with peanut butter on it.

Mostly, just leftovers. Occasionally a hot dog, or cheese, crackers and pepperoni. A tuna sadnwich on occassion.

Her snack just came out of her lunch.

They ask not send in junk food. So we don't. She gets pretty healthy lunches.

Femommy
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

I don't let my kids buy lunch only because it is almost $4 and it's cheaper for me to send lunch. The assistants program we don't fall under.

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 19, 2013 at 11:24 AM

My oldest will be starting K this year! She will end up getting free lunches (her great aunt is the head of the lunch program) but that doesn't kick in until 2 weeks after school starts (all their lunches are catered out like chickfila, fazolis, cicis pizza, etc.) so for the first few weeks we will pack lunch AND snack. After she starts getting free lunches we will just pack a snack. 

Lunches will look like this: 1/2 a sandwich (pb&j, turkey,cheese and lettuce, or ham/cheese and lettuce) organic juice pouch and bottled water, some veggie (carrots, celery or salad w/ ranch), a kind of fruit (raisins, apple sauce, any organic squeeze fruit/veggie pouches, grapes, strawberries, watermelon, cantaloupe, blueberries, an apple any kind of fruit like that). I will also put in a small cup of yogurt with her lunch. 

For snacks we will do Cheezeits, trail mix, fruit/veggie organic squeeze pouches, string cheese, gogurt, raisins, grapes, pretty much any kind of fruit, pretezels, stuff like that. She will also have water with her snack. 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
pj2becca21
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:32 PM

I don't know yet this is my first year of school lunches. I was think 

• Pb&j
  • bologna sandwich
  • I kinda like the quadillia 
  • waters 
  • apple, oranges, tangerines 
  • carrot, peas, green bean, snap peas, edonmoa 
  • cheese , yogurts, pudding

Chymerra
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 11:22 AM

Sandwiches: either tuna/bologna and cheese/ham and cheese/egg salad (for DS), a parfait or regular yogurt (for DD), sliced apples/carrots with dipping sauces, pudding (for DS), bag of chips/cookies, juicebox (DS), water (DD). Snacks, I send in a bag of cookies/chips or some fruit.

bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My kids snacks are:

Frut salads, homemade rice krispie sqaures, granola bars, veggie sticks and dip, pita chips and hummus,Cheese strings,Apples, oranges, bananas, avocado, yogurt, homemade pudding, crackers, sweet potato sticks, kiwi stuff like that. Pumpernickle bread with spinach dip they take very day of the year. lol

Lunches are :

hot lunches- soup, pastas, meatball subs (put hot cooked meatballs in a thermos) they take their mini sub buns, cheese and make it at school. Chicken fried rice, or beef and broccoli served with rice.

Chicken cesar wraps, grilled chicken salad, cold greek pasta salad, broccoli salad, Macoaroni or potato salad, turkey/ham/chicken or kabossa sp? Cheese and crackers. Hard boiled eggs, pickles.

They like wow butter on a wrap with bananas they peel and cut it at school. Homemade mini pizzas, tomato sanwhiches (on a wrap or in a pita) egg or chicken salad pitas. Garden salads. Leftover from dinner hot or cold whichever they prefer.

Juice box, bottle of water and sometimes a thermos of white or chocolate milk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN