Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

She asked me not to give him soda, but didn't tell me not to give him peanuts

Posted by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM
  • 16 Replies
A neighborhood boy was over playing earlier. Since we had never met, his mom walked him over. She saw a couple of bottles of soda on the counter and asked me not to give him soda. So I give them water bottles along with apple wedges and a yogurt/peanut butter dip. He takes a slice, scoops it with the dip, gets it near his mouth and freezes and asks "What's in this?" When I told him, he threw it on the counter and ran to the bathroom and washed his hands really good. He must not have gotten any on him because he didn't react. I walked him home and read his mom the riot act for not telling me. I kind of needed to know that. She looked horrified and just said "I'm so sorry. I forgot." So far, so good. They are still home-no trips to the ER. My kids love peanut butter and it's a rare day that it is not out in the kitchen at some point...or the living room...or even the bedrooms. I just don't allow kids with nut allergies to play at my house. Period. I cannot guarantee their safety.
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:42 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm sure you feel bad, BUT the kid did EXACTLY what he should have. He owned his allergy. I'm not really understanding your hostility towards this kid or his mother. 

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM
2 moms liked this

It sounds like everything is fine, so there is no reason to panic now.  The boy obviously knew of his allergy, which he should, and he handled the situation exactly how he should have.  When a child has a severe allergy like that, his parents become used to everyone knowing about his allergy.  So it isn't odd to me at all that she forgot to mention it to you.  Now you know for next time.

MomofSCMJJA
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:02 AM
I was actually impressed with how quickly he reacted. He said as soon as he smelled it he knew. He's 10, so I know he is aware of the allergy and what he needs to do, but he didn't have an epi-pen with him. What if he had sat in the end spot on the sofa where my 14 year old often abandons the spoon from her peanut butter. There is a permanent grease spot where it has gotten into the fabric. It scared me. I was also mad at myself because I usually ASK if there are any allergies or food sensitivities and I didn't this time because it wasn't planned in advance and I wasn't thinking about snacks. And the fact that she went out of the way to mention the soda...
debramommyof4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:13 AM

If your children are that old then they should not be dropping peanut butter everywhere.  My kids love peanut butter.  But my best friend, who is like a sister, has a dd that has a peanut allergy and my 7,6 and 4 year old clean up the table and chairs and know peanut butter stays there, as soon as they are done because they know if thier cousin (what they call my friends dd) comes over she will get sick.

They do this without me reminding them, heck they remind me sometimes.  If your children make friends with a child with a food allergy they can and should be responsible for making sure thier friend is safe in your home.  My kids are and they are no where near 10 and 14.

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 2:23 AM

That would scare the pants off me as well having a child who has an allergy like that and if we had an open container of said allergen.  Some react to it just being in the air hence no peanuts allowed on planes.

acrogodess
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 4:58 AM

That's kind of a biggie to "forget" about your own kid! Yikes!

calsmom62
by on Jul. 17, 2013 at 5:47 AM
we know a family who has a child who is very very allergic to peanuts. even if there is dust ir residue of it around. i flat out told their parents that we have peanuts and and other nuts in nut dushes out and dh and kids often eat shelled peanuts and to please please never bring him inside. i dont think i could ever de peanut the house and upholstery

Quoting MomofSCMJJA:

I was actually impressed with how quickly he reacted. He said as soon as he smelled it he knew. He's 10, so I know he is aware of the allergy and what he needs to do, but he didn't have an epi-pen with him. What if he had sat in the end spot on the sofa where my 14 year old often abandons the spoon from her peanut butter. There is a permanent grease spot where it has gotten into the fabric. It scared me. I was also mad at myself because I usually ASK if there are any allergies or food sensitivities and I didn't this time because it wasn't planned in advance and I wasn't thinking about snacks. And the fact that she went out of the way to mention the soda...

Andrewsmom70
by Gold Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 8:12 AM
That's the point- she didn't know the kid had peanut allergies. You cannot prepare for what you don't know. I'm not going to stop having peanut butter in my house in case my son, some point in the future, befriends someone with a peanut allergy.

Quoting debramommyof4:

If your children are that old then they should not be dropping peanut butter everywhere.  My kids love peanut butter.  But my best friend, who is like a sister, has a dd that has a peanut allergy and my 7,6 and 4 year old clean up the table and chairs and know peanut butter stays there, as soon as they are done because they know if thier cousin (what they call my friends dd) comes over she will get sick.

They do this without me reminding them, heck they remind me sometimes.  If your children make friends with a child with a food allergy they can and should be responsible for making sure thier friend is safe in your home.  My kids are and they are no where near 10 and 14.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:20 AM
Glad he knew what to do! He must not be too severely allergic. We had a coworker who had so severe an allergy that we couldnt have PB in the building. Even the scene got in the air ducts and she would react.

When I ran a girl scout troop, we met at my house and I have a dog and 2 cats. I put it in my welcome paperwork that I couldn't. Accept girls with allergies to either and only once had to turn a child away.
Karen_S
by Bronze Member on Jul. 17, 2013 at 9:21 AM

The mom made a mistake and forgot to tell you.  Yes, it was a bad mistake, but it came out OK.  She probably feels awful.  We've all made mistakes as parent.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)