Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Mini van mommas....

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM
  • 38 Replies

Any of you with a minivan....

What is the year, make, and model of your van?  What do you especially like or dislike about it?  We're in the market for a new-to-us minivan and I just am curious what to get or what to avoid.

Theresa, proud SAHM to Ellie (11), Ian (9), and Ryan (3)

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sleepy_in_va
by Samantha on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:26 AM
We have an 03 honda odyssey. We have three kids so it is esential for us to have a big car. We love the space it provides for us. We dislike that the transmission sticks....but that was a problem in what I head was just the 2003s...any newer Odysseys are fine. If we coukd afford a new van we would most likely go with another Odyssey.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mckinneymom918
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM
We have a 2012 town & country. It's great it's a base model but equipped with a DVD player and leather, and oh the storage! All the seats fold flat, and my husband fit pieces of drywall in it, laying flat. We got a really great deal on it when we purchased it new last April- it was the last on the lot and they practically gave it to us, plus we had a ton of rebates they were offering and an extra coupon we got in the mail. We average about 20mpg running around. But right at 30-33mpg on trips- better than the full sized SUVs we were looking at.
MunchiesMom324
by Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 8:35 AM
05 grand caravan. Captains chairs in the middle, stow n go in back and middle, dual power sliding doors... decent gas mileage. I love it.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I have a Ford Explorer. Personally, I'd prefer an SUV over a mini-van. Then again, the winters here are harsh and having the option for 4WD makes life so much easier.

wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I have a 2012 Honda Odyssey and love it. The automatic doors can be annoying in a downpour b/c they close so slowly, but that's really the only complaint I have.

Before the Honda, I had a 2006 Ford Freestar. I liked that one a lot, too.

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:13 AM

I had a 2007 Chevy Uplander from 2008 to 2010. 

How many children do you have?

How many are still boostered? How many are in full car seats?

Do you booster to your state minimum? or do you booster until the seatbelt fits properly?

Do you plan on having more children?

Do you always carry a stroller? 

How big of a grocery trip do you take?

I ask because when we bought our van (which was an IMPULSE on my husbands part when our Suburban took a sick day and left us with his jeep), our sons were: 12, 8, 5 and 6 months. We had teen bottom, booster seat, car seat, infant car seat. 

The rear bench was a 50/50 split. I always carried a stroller, we also carry a small tote that holds a quart of oil, washer fluid, etc.... In order to do a grocery trip I had to fold part of teh seat (BJ's, Wegmans, Target). 

When my niece moved in in 2009, the boys were now 14, 10, 7, and 2 (and my niece was 3).... If my husband was off and we went somewhere as a full family, the 10 yr old had to come out of his LBB so that the 14 yr old could fit in the 3rd row with him and the 7 yr old. The two little ones sat in the buckets with their full seats so I could buckle/unbuclke as needed.

We traded it in for a Yukon XL.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:22 AM

2010  Chrysler Town and Country with stow and go seating and  power doors. We love everything about it. :)

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:28 AM

We have a 2008 Chevy Uplander.  We fell in love with it because it was the doors were automatic.  However, the hatchback isn't automatic and the doors sometimes malfunction.  Other than that, it's been a great vehicle!

family in the van   Mom of four

toopicky429
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:33 AM
I have a 2006 Town & Country. I like it well enough, but really want a new Honda Odyssey. I love the stow and go. We have two kids and two Great Danes, so we needed room and better fuel economy than my last car (GMC Yukon Denali XL).
iheartmiboys
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:39 AM

'05 Honda Odyssey touring. I love it. But drawbacks we don't have the middle row seating, so with two under two car seats are a hassle. But besides that we are a family of 6, and keep a full double stroller in the back, and never have to take it out when we go grocery shopping. Power doors are my best friend, but when it rains my enemy. But love. Once we pay this off. I would like another odyssey newer model or pilot. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)