Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New challenges piog

Posted by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM
  • 5 Replies

My 8 y/o dd is starting 3d grade next year.  Here in our district, that means a new school.  Also, she has been placed in a gifted enrichment program that's held @ a different school one day a week, so two new schools & routines to get used to.  She is sometimes shy & quiet, & easily intimidated.  Also, I know she is bright, but I'll say it was a pleasant surprise when we got the notice about placing her in the program.  She seems eager for the challenge, & I definintely don't wanna discourage her or overwhelm her either.  How will I know if it becomes too much for her?   

by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
wakymom
by Ruby Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 6:51 PM

If she seems more tired, has headaches/stomachaches for no apparent reason, starts to not want to go to school, won't talk about her day (if she does talk to you normally about it), spends more time than usual alone. . . 

If she's excited about it, that's a good sign : )  Sometimes our kids can really surprise us w/ what they can handle.

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 7:56 PM

Thanks, & I do hope she stays excited.  :-)  And you are right- my kids surprise me constantly.  :-)

Quoting wakymom:

If she seems more tired, has headaches/stomachaches for no apparent reason, starts to not want to go to school, won't talk about her day (if she does talk to you normally about it), spends more time than usual alone. . . 

If she's excited about it, that's a good sign : )  Sometimes our kids can really surprise us w/ what they can handle.

DrDoofenshmirtz
by Bronze Member on Jul. 18, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Congrats!  She will likely really like the gifted pull out program.  But as pp said, if she starts getting overly irritable, not wanting to go to school, etc., talk to her about it.

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 18, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Thanks.  I've heard comments from other moms on their PTO sight, that their kids really enjoy it. 

Quoting DrDoofenshmirtz:

Congrats!  She will likely really like the gifted pull out program.  But as pp said, if she starts getting overly irritable, not wanting to go to school, etc., talk to her about it.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 19, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sure she'll adjust quickly. I was shy in school, but still adjusted quickly to changes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)