Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

After having kids when did you find your normal?

Posted by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 26 Replies

After the hard work of getting the family started, have you reached a place where you feel a sense of normal.  The normal is something like this: happy with the routine, happy with the kids growth , return to manageable life with friends, family and work. About how many years did it take to get there. I have to kids, 6 and 4. I feel like in about 2 years after the youngest is in full time school, that a sense of normal will reside, or am I dreaming?

by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

Elementary age, to me, has been the busiest with school, activities, and sports. Late elementary/middle school has been the point where I felt like things were even keeled. I could leave them home for stretches, etc.  Depending on your kids' level maturity, the answers will vary.

ianmoone
by on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:25 AM
1 mom liked this

My dd is four and I am JUST starting to feel somewhat normal. But going through a break up and me going back to work (ex so had talked me into being a sahm for the past year) and it just being her and I, I am loving it!!!! I think after a while I realized the old me would never be again and it's like I had to reinvent myself with ex so and now again as a full time single mom.

SahmTam
by Tammy on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Normal came in layers for me. When my oldest started sleeping through the night and not getting up 5 times!! at age 11 months I felt more normal. After my 2nd was born it took awhile to feel like things were normal again. My 3rd folded in pretty well and didn't take a lot of adjustment. When each kid went off to school and preschool it was another new normal.

Now they have all been in "real" school for the past 3 years and this will be my 4th year with all 3 in school. They are 13, 9.5, and 8. I feel like my newest normal is to be able to go places easily again! It's far easier to get together with friends who have similarly aged kids without all of the little kid crying and neediness. They are more independent and we can go to amusement parks and not have to be so paranoid about not losing them, they can go on bigger rides with each other, not needing an adult along for each ride, etc. I am liking this "normal" the best so far! lol

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Maybe my expectations of normal are lower than yours, but I felt normal when my kids were toddlers.  Obviously, it wasn't the same normal as when I was single or married without kids, but every significant life change causes your normal to change too.

If you are looking for when you will be less busy, elementary school isn't it.  lol  I'm busier now than I was when they were toddlers.  My boys are going into 4th and 7th.

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:24 AM
I felt back to normal by the time she was 3 months old. I've always maintained a routine and given my family relation ships and my friendships. She just slid right into our routine.
Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know about normal.  Life just keeps changing and adjusting.  Just enjoy you're kids where they are at.  Each age has so much to offer!

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 21, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I feel normal. But my life has changed. I don't expect it to go back to how it was. 

I guess this is just my new normal. 

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:32 PM
For me the first 2-3 years are extremely taxing... Then normal seems to come but first grade threw us into upheaval again! :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sillytime
by Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:37 PM

They are 5,6&7. My life will NEVER be normal again. Well I guess this year may be the year for a little less crazy. They will all be in school full time K, 1 & 2nd grade. I'm also starting my business this week finally after all the hard work and money. Wish me luck :0) 

kjbugsmom1517
by Bronze Member on Jul. 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM
My oldest just turned 8 and i started to feel like i really have a handle on this parenting gig with my bearings about 2ish years ago lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)