Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what language do your children learn beside their mother tongue?

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 57 Replies

Living in China, our mother tongue is Madarin Chinese. But my son started to learn English in kindergarten --- and it is very common in big cities. learning english already become something you must do in China, guess because it is really an international language. It is an important course in any school from Kindergarten to college. In the countryside the children start to learn english after grade 3 in elementary school.

My question is: what is it like in the US and the other countries? Are your children learning a second language, or even a third? What language do you learn? How do you learn it? What do you learn it for?

sorry, too many questions. CM likes a magic box to me....I really treasure those opinions and experience sharing by all of you moms.

by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Roo1234
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:34 PM
our children have learned Spanish in their secular schools and Hebrew in their religious school
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:52 PM

It depends on the school here. Some schools start in K others in 5th or 6th grade and others in High School. The languages also vary by school and region. My dd's school teaches all kids Spanish starting in K, add in Latin roots in 3rd and offers 4 or 5 more that they can choose from starting in 4th grade. It is a K-8 school. My ds's offers them starting in 3rd grade which are Spanish, French, German and Latin and they can take those same languages along with Chinese, I believe Mandarin starting in 6th grade. His school is a K-12 school. The high school adds in Japanese as an option too. 

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 10:55 PM

It depends which school the children go to. For public school though usually there are not secondary languages introduced until middle school (grade 6 or higher).  Some schools have immersion so they can learn a different language while still learning english at same time.

At our house we speak mostly english with a small amount of german or spanish thrown in.  DD will watch her dvds in any languages it has on them.  Chinese is a hard one for her to grasp since she has speech delays. She has done pretty well for self teachinig in spanish.

StephanieSH
by on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:28 PM

Hebrew.  They were both in Hebrew immersion programs for a while.  My husband is Israeli and tries to speak and read to them in Hebrew as much as possible.

MrsApple
by Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:33 PM

We taught our daughter a small amount of spanish when she was a toddler.Now that mother-in-law lives near us (She's Peruvian),she tries to teach her more.As far as school,they haven't gotten to that point yet.

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 22, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Our older son attends a public magnet school that specializes in foreign languages (Spanish, German, Italian, French) beginning in Kindergarten, using the immersion model. He will be a third grader when he returns to school in the fall. Our younger son will go to the same school when he starts Kinder next year. (Within the same school district, Japanese and Armenian immersion programs are also offered.) This type of language magnet program is relatively uncommon in US public schools and we feel fortunate to be able to send our kids to it.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:15 AM
My kids are bilingual - romanian/english... In schools here they teach english from preschool but they learned because we are a cross cultural marriage. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katemckenzie
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 3:18 AM
2 moms liked this

American Sign Language. I am deaf, so it's important my son learn to sign with me.

cpmommy
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:32 AM

We are a military family, and my kids have always gone to Department of Defense (DoDDS) schools.  They all teach Spanish, starting in kindergarten.  And now that we're living in Germany, they also have Host Nation classes, where they learn German.

tel4him
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 7:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Our kids aren't learning any foreign languages at school, but we're teaching them American Sign Language at home.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)