Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

I cannot afford back 2 school clothes :-(

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
  • 79 Replies
This year has been rough on my family due to a few medical bills and increases in monthly bills. I've already made as many budget cuts as I possibly can including cutting the girls' dance classes. I can't even afford the school supplies. This is a sad moment for me parenting. When I was a child I loved school and getting to pick out my own school supplies and a few outfits was the best ever! My dd's are the same way. I feel like a failure. I have contacted the school and they qualified us for free supplies and back pack this year thank God. But I have no way of getting my girls an outfit. I did buy some shoes that were a size too big on sale earlier this year I hope they grow into them. I've tried getting some overtime at work but they don't allow it. Is anyone else in this same situations? We are not strangers to the good will but up until now we always were giving to charities and donating our time. It's just me and my girls so I now we'll be fine but I just want them to have something to be proud of for back to school. Sorry this was so long. Thanks for listening.
***Update***
I had my dd try on her pants from last year and they still fit :-)) So this gives me a little more time to work something out. Her jackets/sweaters and long sleeve shirts are showing her wrists too much so that's where I'm gonna start looking for items. Her birthday is 2 months away. If the weather stays nice and she doesn't go through a growth spurt, we are looking okay for now. I did call goodwill and they have 25cents days every Tuesday. Thank you all so much for all the advice and support. God Bless you all.
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:02 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Cherish77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Im sorry, wish I could help.  I think in our city their is a group that that gets low income families a shopping spree at Target, but I am not positive.  Do you have a Boys and Girls club in your city?  Maybe check with them.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
There may be resources in your area to help you get clothes. Check with the school, churches, and local shelter. There are usually programs to help get clothes for kids.

teamwilson
by Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Thanks ladies.
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:27 AM
7 moms liked this

I'm sorry you're having a rough time. 

My kids have never really worn anything other than second had clothes. I just can't bring myself to spend money on new clothes when there are perfectly good clothes out there for a fraction of the price. 

They have lots to be proud of. Don't let them think that new clothes and supplies are things to be proud of. Focus on the more important things they have to offer. 

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:31 AM
Agree! Maybe find another way to make going back to school exciting (bake something special the first day). I refuse to pay regular price for anything for ds. Shopping clearance I can get things for about the same price as second hand.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

My kids have never really worn anything other than second had clothes. I just can't bring myself to spend money on new clothes when there are perfectly good clothes out there for a fraction of the price. 

They have lots to be proud of. Don't let them think that new clothes and supplies are things to be proud of. Focus on the more important things they have to offer. 

maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:34 AM

When I'm in a store that's the only rack I look at. We were in Target last week and my son asked we couldn't look at the other clothes. LOL

Quoting cjsmom1:

Agree! Maybe find another way to make going back to school exciting (bake something special the first day). I refuse to pay regular price for anything for ds. Shopping clearance I can get things for about the same price as second hand.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

jesusismyfriend
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Check with the Salvation Army and local churches.  I know the Salvation Army helps.  I had to get help with clothing when my son went to camp cadet since, it is a free camp run by state police they are very picky about what they wear and how much of an item they need.  They wanted 5 pairs of black shorts. Nothing on them except for a very small symbol.  5 plain white tee shirts. 10 pairs of socks and other thing.  The really bad part? My son is in adult sizes.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:35 AM
1 mom liked this

This.

I don't even spend money on new clothes for myself unless it is on a clearance rack.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Lol. Mine will say something about not getting things if it's not on sale. There's a jcp outlet near me and I did great with getting all his clothes. Good quality and cheaper then Walmart.

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

When I'm in a store that's the only rack I look at. We were in Target last week and my son asked we couldn't look at the other clothes. LOL

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting maxswolfsuit:

andersongirl562
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 8:46 AM
1 mom liked this

No because I have never allowed this to happen...I am a single mom with five children and have always provided for them no matter what. You can donate to a blood bank, pawn something, or get a partime job. You had all summer to put back 5 or 10 dollars a week to get them each a new outfit. Shirts are 5 dollars at walmart and you can find pants or shorts fairly cheap as well especially if you shop the clearance racks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)