Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Pre-k or No? Good/Bad

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
  • 77 Replies

Did your child go to Pre-K?  Do you think its necissary before heading into kindergarten?  Pros/Cons?  

by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KairisMama
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:40 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes my child did, and it was a fabulous experience for her. She socialized, learned, and got used to the routine of a classroom. She'll be going into 2nd grade now, and once in a while still mentions how she misses her pre school class. ;)

BaBeezandMe
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My twin boys went to 2 years of Pre-K and their first year was eeh!  Their second year was FANTASTIC!!  They did very well and it really did prepare them for Kindergarten.

I would say that it depends on the child.  Some kids could benefit from Pre-K and others don't really need it.  My kids NEEDED it :D

catevincesmom
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:44 PM
1 mom liked this

My dd did well w/o it.  We placed ds in pre-k, though, to get him more socialized & to improve his fine motor skills. 

ddhb2007
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM
Yes, my daughter went to pre-k. I believe it's necessary for children. It's not necessary for the educational aspects, but it helps them learn how to function in groups, follow another adult's instructions, and develop independence.
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this
Only one of my 3 did pre-k. They are all three A-B students. They are all good in social situations.

Actually the one who did go to Pre-k is the least social of the three. He doesn't like large groups, he is a sit on the sidelines them go do it his own way kind of guy.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Both of my boys went to pre-k and feel like it was a good thing for them.  If your child is getting a lot of socilization, learning, and can seperate from you fairy easily, then in may not be necessary.

momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Ds went for 4 months but we had to pull him for health reasons. He had fun but he refused to learn because his teacher was mean and often put the kids down in front of them when giving "report" to the parents at the door for pickup. Like a pp said, some kids need it and others don't. My dd entered the school arena part way through her 1st grade year and settled in just fine. :) 

snowangel1979
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Necessary, no. Helpful, yes especially if your child is not around other children his age.

I've done both.
Oldest DS went to pre-k (preschool) and it helped him get on track and he made some friends.
Youngest DS did not go because there were no preschools around us where we lived at that time except the free one (which actually was a 30+minute each way drive) and we made to much money. He did fine in kindergarten. He's always been a smart cookie though.

DD will go to preschool when she's 4 because we don't have any children that live around us. She'll need to learn to be away from me and around other children her age. She'll probably have to go to the one at the daycare center in town because the school's one is 4 days a week, all day and I feel that's a little to much to jump into right off the bat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this
My oldest did not, her younger sisters did. I don't think it's absolutely necessary if you're working with them at home. I worked with my kids, but at the time that they were headed into pre-k I had a newborn (two newborns last time, lol) and was afraid I wouldn't be able to put enough time into it. I think it definitely helped prepare them for kinder, but not in any way that I couldn't have done myself.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AMRios
by on Jul. 23, 2013 at 9:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest son went to 3 year olds but not 4 year olds because we were moving so much (military)... Our 2nd son went to 3 and 4 year olds and you can tell a major difference... Our oldest is being held back and our 2nd son excels at everything he does! I would say it is a must if you can afford it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN