Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Every kindergartener should know . . .

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
  • 43 Replies
1 mom liked this

We all know that A-B-C's and 1-2-3's are important for kindergarteners to know along with a few other academic and social skills.  What are some other things, besides academics and social skills, that every kindergartener should know before the first day of school?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:35 PM
3 moms liked this

It is very important for every child to know how to use the restroom completely on their own.  They should be able to wipe themselves as well as button/snap their pants without any assistance.

TwinMomma122304
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

Their address and phone number!

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:30 PM

If they are riding the bus, they should be taught some bus safety.

jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:36 PM
Zipper and/or button jackets.
ConcernedCousin
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:38 PM

My son doesn't know our address or numbers. I will try to teach him cause I hadn't even thought of that!

mommy053008
by Maria on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:42 PM

My kindergarten child doesn't know our address or phone number either! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
SnowWhieQueen
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 3:49 PM
7 moms liked this

1 thing i learned....not all children need to know the things listed..my ds is going in to 1st...he cant use the bathroom..button snap..ect...does not know his address phone number...or his a,b,c's or is numbers....he has a learning disability....make sure ur children understand not all children are the same...that's something the school don't teach but its very important....

xtwistedxlovex
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:16 PM

They were thrilled that DS could write his name. It wasn't expected, but definitely appreciated. Phone number and address are important knowledge also. And parents' names.

pj2becca21
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:25 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter knows her addresses, phone numbers, how to write her name ( full name), My name and her fathers name and how to write them, number 1-100, ABC's, small words and how to spell them, and she read baby book by herself. she has been going to the bathroom by herself since she was 2, and know how to zipper and button her jacket and pants. she colors in the lines and cuts on the line. she knows how to count money and what they are. she also knows how to tie her shoes.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting SnowWhieQueen:

1 thing i learned....not all children need to know the things listed..my ds is going in to 1st...he cant use the bathroom..button snap..ect...does not know his address phone number...or his a,b,c's or is numbers....he has a learning disability....make sure ur children understand not all children are the same...that's something the school don't teach but its very important....

Great point. We did have those talks when my son was a toddler, but I didn't think about how important it is to know before school starts.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)