Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

First scan is approved to diagnose ADHD

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM
  • 7 Replies

The Food and Drug Administration has approved the first medical scan that can help diagnose attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children by measuring brain waves.

The agency said it cleared the NEBA system to help confirm ADHD for people ages 6 to 17. Doctors can use the device to confirm an ADHD diagnosis or to determine if more testing is necessary.

The device, from Augusta, Ga.-based NEBA Health, measures the frequency of two standard brain waves known as theta and beta waves. Children with ADHD tend to have a higher ratio of these waves than children who don’t have the disorder.

The FDA approved the 15- to 20-minute test based on a study of 275 patients. Clinicians evaluated the patients using the system as well as standard diagnostic tools such as like behavioral questionnaires. The study showed that use of the NEBA System helped doctors make a more accurate diagnosis than using traditional methods alone. The American Psychiatric Association states that ADHD affects 3 to 7 percent of school-aged children.

Associated Press

Do you think this new approval might have any impact on the amount of ADHD diagnoses?

by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
StephanieSH
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 4:53 PM

It will probably help confirm a diagnosis but it will probably be one of those things that if it isn't positive, won't preclude a diagnosis.  It's just an additonal piece of the diagnostic puzzle. 

Jessiejack
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 6:20 PM

I think it will help when kids might have a mental health diagnoses but have been misdiagnosed as ADHD.

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Quoting StephanieSH:

It will probably help confirm a diagnosis but it will probably be one of those things that if it isn't positive, won't preclude a diagnosis.  It's just an additonal piece of the diagnostic puzzle. 

IAMmomtotrips
by Bronze Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:38 PM
FMRI's have been able to do this for years. When I was 17, I was part of the pilot study to use fMRI to diagnose ADHD, but insurance companies would not cover the cost of the scan, so that's why doctors don't recommend it. It will be interesting to see if this procedure will be cover also?
maxswolfsuit
by Max on Jul. 24, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Interesting

I wonder if this will change the diagnosis criteria at some point. If not, I don't see it making a big difference. 

soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 24, 2013 at 11:22 PM

I already think we over diagnose ADHD. 

family in the van   Mom of four

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:15 AM
From the parent of an ADHD diagnosed kid, ADHD is Way over diagnosed and is a cop out for the majority of kids. In our case it just means my son learn differently than most children.

I never believed in ADHD until Sean. He struggled in school. It was hell for him to sit and listen and write. Yes, by medical standards ADHD applied.

He doesn't have a mental issue. He is a hands on kinestetic (sp) learner! The kid has a near genius IQ! He just doesn't fit into the standard public school, sit at a desk learning module! He has to live life, experience life, test his theories, move and explore!

That isn't disorder..that is an active human being!

I must add, that I pulled him from public school in 1st grade.and it was.Tue best thing ever for.him. He went from asking,"Mom, why did God make me stupid.", to thriving!

I realized I am probably ADHD as well. I have always chosen active jobs....everything from working horses to armed security to being am EMT on an ambulance, to a corporate mailroom, and currently training dogs! I am not a sit at an desk and collect a paycheck person! There is nothing wrong with that for my son or myself!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN