Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dentist drama

Posted by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 15 Replies

Mobile Photo

My daughter is seven and she has a very intense fear of the dentist. We have made 2 different appointments and have had to leave both times. The first appointment we waited for five hours because they "fit us in". By the time she was seen she was so tired and upset they couldn't even get her to take an x ray. We made the second appointment and she was given gas to relax her. It did nothing, she was taking the tools out of her mouth and sitting up. The dentist said that sometimes the gas won't work. Is this true ? Or was it administered wrong? Tanks empty? I'd like some opinions.
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Have they tried by simply putting her in the chair and letting her explore all the different tools while ungassed? Sort of like the introductory appointment most dentists will do with children.   Some people could be immune to nitrous oxide but it relaxs me ok.  I have an intense fear of dentists due to them never figuring out about my gag reflex and blowing off the feeling i would get.

aj23
by Silver Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:37 PM
Sometimes the gas and the meds don't work especially if the kids are already worked up and resisting.

My son has had both not work before and it resulted in him having to get an iv so he could get work done. Now if he needs any work done they give him the meds then we go back to the lobby and play games (they have an arcade) and wait until he gets woozy and they take him back to watch cartoons (each chair has a tv) until they start. Finding an office he enjoyed with people he felt like he could trust made a huge difference.
Daniellejoyce
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:45 PM
We had the introductory appointment , we showed her everything, we took our time and let her get comfortable. It all went out the window when it was time to count her teeth. She needs fillings and a crown. They told me she would have to go to a hospital and be put under, I'm really uneasy . I really don't want to have her put under if its not necessary. Her dentist doesn't want to work on her, she's not misbehaving she's just scared.
catevincesmom
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I'm sorry, no help here.  :-(  My kids actually enjoy their dentist.  Ds even lines his stuffed animals up afterwards, & they all have their dental checkups.  @ his dentist, they have tv's on the lights that they watch.  They also tell the kids exactly what's goin' on & let 'em see/feel the tools. 

snowangel1979
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Is this a children's dentist?

If not, maybe try a dentist that specializes in children. DS went to one when we had different insurance and It's a lot different then a regular dentist.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
knagsmom
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:01 PM
Are they giving the gas time to work? My sister in law is a dentist n when ds was seeing another dentist they scared her. My sister in law uses a chocolate flavored gas that they start her on 30 mins before trying to work on her teeth.
LoriAnn87
by LoriAnn on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Sorry I'm no help my son loves his denist. Where he goes they have different themes for the room, toys, books and vidoe games in the waiting room. They aslo have TV in the rooms so the kids can watch.

Daniellejoyce
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:04 PM
Yes, it's the only pediactric dentist in my area. They were better and more patient with her at my d office.

Quoting snowangel1979:

Is this a children's dentist?

If not, maybe try a dentist that specializes in children. DS went to one when we had different insurance and It's a lot different then a regular dentist.

Daniellejoyce
by on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:07 PM
No they started to give we the gas, and within 5 min were trying to work on her. They were taking the mask on and off. Then it seemed to stop working, it also seemed that the mask was to big and it kept slipping down to her mouth. She was becoming more and more upset .

Quoting knagsmom:

Are they giving the gas time to work? My sister in law is a dentist n when ds was seeing another dentist they scared her. My sister in law uses a chocolate flavored gas that they start her on 30 mins before trying to work on her teeth.

knagsmom
by Member on Jul. 24, 2013 at 9:12 PM
Either find a dentist that specializes in kids or demand they wait at least 30 mins before the start working on ur dd. If U lived near Chicago id suggest my sister in law

Quoting Daniellejoyce:

No they started to give we the gas, and within 5 min were trying to work on her. They were taking the mask on and off. Then it seemed to stop working, it also seemed that the mask was to big and it kept slipping down to her mouth. She was becoming more and more upset .

Quoting knagsmom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)