Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

DVDs/electronics & car trips

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 46 Replies

Poll

Question: Do your kids watch dvds/play with electronics on a long car trip?

Options:

Yes, they use them as much as they want

Yes, but I limit their use (please explain)

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 63

View Results

What's your longest trip you've done with or without dvds/electronics?  Why do you or don't you allow them?

by on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this

I was always the parent that swore my kids would never use electronics in the car on trips... I mean, I survived without them when I was growing up...then, I realized that *I* had the freedom of moving around the vehicle to lay down, etc.. my girls are strapped into a car seat for 7 hours per trip. I have relinquished that control and allow them to watch movies all the way. My oldest has a DS to play and my youngest has my DS or her LeapPad to play as well. I make sure my DS and the LeapPad are fully charged so that she can play them if she wishes. She is usually content with movies and coloring though. I have decided that having a van with dual DVDs is the greatest invention ever in the universe. LOL... we travel from ATL to central FL about every 6-8 weeks for a week. Just this summer, we have made the drive to FL and back several times. It keeps them quiet and happy and I don't have to hear " are we there yet" a million times and they don't bicker, which is amazing for 2 girls that are less than 3 years apart in age.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mommaponch
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:47 PM
They are allowed unlimited electronics on long trips with the exception of if we drive overnight they get turned off at a certain time.

We have done a few trips from our home in central Minnesota to southern California. Including stops it usually takes us between thirty and thirty five hours each way
countrymomma81
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Last year when we drove 6 hours to the beach they each had a portable DVD player and an iPod touch loaded with tv shows, movies and apps that we downloaded before leaving. They mostly listened to the music though. They enjoyed looking outside and watching the scenery change. 

We were going to have them bring books but we didn't want them to clutter the backseat. 

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:49 PM
We do long road trips.. 11 hours to Colorado or 18 hours to Oregon.

During daylight hours, no personal electronics. There is enough to do, they can look at scenery, we play car games, they read, they draw, etc.

Once it gets dark, we allow DSi, DVDs, laptop, etc as it is pretty boring otherwise. We do have them turned off at their normal bed time.
littleangie
by Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:53 PM

We have relatives that live 6 hours away from us.  We allow our children to watch dvds and play educational games during the drive.  Most of the time, they are sleeping during half of the trip.

MrsSexyCurtains
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:55 PM
We would drive from Florida to Texas and that's 16 hours. She had a DVD player, dsi, iPad and my iPhone. She's have her books, coloring books and crafts in the day light hours. She's 7 and does amazing at car trips. when she was 16 months we went from Texas to Virginia and that was 36 hours. She didn't cry or whine at all. We drove straight through without stopping to rest.
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 25, 2013 at 1:57 PM

I am the parent who said my kids won't use electronics or watch dvds in the car - and has stuck to that.  Granted, my boys don't have any electronics yet - they watch dvds 3-4 times per week & play on my iPad about that often as well.

My boys are 6 & 4.5.  This is the 4th summer in a row where we've done a long trip from our southwest Minnesota home to one side of the country or the other.  DH has family on the east coast, west coast & southern U.S. so we are always traveling to visit them.

2010 - drove to Atlanta, then on to SC then home

2011 - drove to San Jose, CA area

2012 - drove to Washington DC area

2013 - drove to Atlanta (visited DH's sister, aunt, niece & nephew & their families), SC (visited two different cousins), VA (aunt's birthday party), NJ (visited another cousin), back to DC area to visit the aunt & uncle again - and see Mount Vernon & monuments in DC - 5100 miles by the time we got home again!

The boys listen to music, books on cd, play with toys, with each other, read books (or looked at them in the case of the 4 yo), did a little coloring (they aren't that into that), looked out the window.  They fight less in the car than at home (they usually get along pretty well at home too).  We always stop at a park for lunch - a little play time helps a lot!  We also stay in hotels with pools - swimming is a good way to burn energy for going to sleep.  We don't expect to drive more than 8 hours in a day most days - quite frankly, we don't want to drive much more than that, even if the boys were tolerant.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:03 PM

I don't know the longest. Probably the move from AZ to MN.

We allow them to keep the child amused. I get bored in the car. I just wish using electronic didn't make me car-sick. Otherwise, I'd be using them too.

spelmanmommy
by New Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:04 PM
Yes. We allow unlimited electronics. We travel from Atlanta to Phiily at least once a year. It cuts down on fighting and noise. Although this last time they also traced their journey on maps as well.
xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2013 at 2:12 PM
830 miles one way. Unlimited electronics as long as he's well-behaved. Two days is an awfully long time to be stuck in the car with nothing to do, and a tablet takes up far less space than numerous books, games, etc.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)