Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Do you have morning issues?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM
  • 39 Replies
We don't and neither does my close friend with kids that are the same age. 12 and 5. One stays home for summer and the other goes to daycare. We don't have morning issues. But I have been hearing at work horror stories of all the yelling and slammed doors and being late etc etc. I was kind of proud to say 'we don't have those issues'. My kids are morning people. I personally am not. But my kids got someone else's Genes apparently lol

Just curious. What is your house like in the mornings? Either during school or summer. Our mornings are typically the same for both. While I don't have to take one to school, she still gets up and we have breakfast together and they watch their shows on tv. Co-workers were shocked that i feed my kids breakfast. Who doesn't feed their kids breakfast? I was told they pay the school to feed their kids. Am I the only one who does this? Surely not.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:39 AM

We are fairly laid back.  I know for mornings we need to get up 2-3 hrs before we go anywhere usually just so i can have a good shower and my guy takes care of his medical needs.  DD takes about 30-46 minutes to wake up fully so during the school year we get her up at 7:30am so that she is ready at 8:50am for the bus stop.  We are lucky that she does not fight us unless she is sick.

Pukalani79
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:51 AM

Depends on the morning.  Usually it's pretty calm, unless we have something unusual planned in the morning.  We feed our kids breakfast.

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I feed them breakfast.... And we rarely have morning issues... Once i woke my oldest up 20 minutes earlier it solved it all. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bzzybeemomof3
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Depending. Lol if we do its from my 11 yr old. She cannot stay up past 7pm on a school night or she is miserable in the morning for school. She is adhd, odd, spd, aspergers has compulsion issues and low maturity as well as MID. Blah such a mouthful lol

So when school is in its 7pm to 7am and she is good. Weekend and summer her bedtime is whenever she wants as long as she sleeps in. Lol

Oh. No my kids do not eat breakfast. They do not like to eat in the morning as I don't either. They wait till morning snack at school.
When they are at home they breakfast at 11am. More like brunch. Lol
melaniecerise
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:38 AM
My kids stay on routine the whole year. They have always been morning children. I do feed them breakfast, but being who they are, they like to eat two breakfasts, so they will eat at school too. They will pick out clothes and pack backpacks the night before so that will cut back on time.
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:41 AM
During the school year the kids are on different schedules...DS is up and out of the house much earlier than DD so there are no issues. During the summer, everyone is up and getting ready at the same time so it's definitely more stressful. Sometimes there is yelling and/or arguing but never door slammings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:45 AM
Some mornings are good others are not. It really depends on my 14 yr old ds and 8 yr old as. If they woke up on the wrong side or don't feel like doing something it is a war zone in the morning.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

Our mornings in the summer are fairly non-existant.  lol  My kids don't get up until after 10:00 and today is an early morning for me as well, since I'm rarely up before 9:30.

During the school year things are more hectic for sure, but there is no screaming and door slamming.  In my house if you slam your door, then you choose to live without your door for a week or so depending on how often it happens. 

My children are nearly 13 and nearly 10, they get themselves breakfast every morning, they get themselves completely ready for school.  I rarely give reminders because they know what time the bus comes and they know that if they miss the bus, they will pay me to drive them to school and they will be losing privileges that evening.

Another big rule in my house is that the tv is not turned on in the morning for any reason.  It doesn't matter what is on, the kids will stop and get distracted.

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:33 AM

I'm the one that's not a morning person in our house.

Right now, my son is old enough to stay home, so he can sleep in and take care of his own breakfast.

During the school year, we do provide a snack before he gets on the bus. But he normally eats breakfast at school. The whole school provides a free breakfast as they walk in the door, and they eat it in their classroom while starting the day. 

I work full time, but my schedule is different than my son's morning schedule during the school year. Usually my husband takes our son to the bus, and I wake up after the leave to get ready for work. It actually works quite well for us because we only have one bathroom, so it avoids someone needing to use it while the other person is getting ready for the day.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:50 AM
No we don't and never have had issues in the morning whether it's during the summer or school year. I have always kept us on a schedule, had certain expectations for the morning, and trained them on what's expected. My kids have been getting their own breakfast since they were 3 or 4.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN