Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Messenger Bags

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter is going into first grade and is insisting that she wants a messenger style book bag for back to school.  I was going to order her one but now I'm concerned that it could cause her back/shoulder problems.  Anyone have an experience with these bags or how heavy first grade book bags can be??  Thanks! 

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Depends on the one you  get her.  You also just need to make sure she wears it properly.

lizfnf
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

She wants this rainbow-y one from The Children's Place.  It has an extra wide padded strap but of course I would have no clue if she was wearing it properly across her body on the way home.  She's a walker as well, in case that makes any difference.  

Quoting corrinacs:

Depends on the one you  get her.  You also just need to make sure she wears it properly.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this
First grade they aren't carrying a lot of heavy stuff. I would let her do it now vs middle or high school where they have heavy books.
corrinacs
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

When you put it that way, she coudl still wear a normal backpack improperly, too.

They are super cute......the one you are referring to doesn't seem to bad.

Quoting lizfnf:

She wants this rainbow-y one from The Children's Place.  It has an extra wide padded strap but of course I would have no clue if she was wearing it properly across her body on the way home.  She's a walker as well, in case that makes any difference.  

Quoting corrinacs:

lizfnf
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

It is cute!  And with their sale I could get it for under $10, and her old backpack is still in good condition so if it was too awkard I could always switch it out. 

Quoting corrinacs:

When you put it that way, she coudl still wear a normal backpack improperly, too.

They are super cute......the one you are referring to doesn't seem to bad.

Quoting lizfnf:

Quoting corrinacs:

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Yes, I agree with letting her use one now, before the load gets heavy. My DD wants a new back pack so I"ll have to check out TCP to see if they have one cheap enough to convince DH.

kailu1835
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM
For first grade they don't really carry much more than a couple of folders and some papers in their bags, so I wouldn't worry about it. In the higher grades, when they start carrying books, then I wouldn't recommend it, just because all the weight is on one shoulder instead of evenly distributed on both.
calsmom62
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM
ours had binders in first. but a messenger bag should be fine
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My neighbor's dd used one in 1st grade this past year. No issues. For that matter, even ds in 4th grade never brought text books home. 

LokisMama
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I would let her use it now, while the load isn't gonna be heavy.  I tried using a messenger bag in high school and hated it, because I was hauling around heavy textbooks.  But for a first grader?  Go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN