Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Messenger Bags

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
  • 14 Replies

My daughter is going into first grade and is insisting that she wants a messenger style book bag for back to school.  I was going to order her one but now I'm concerned that it could cause her back/shoulder problems.  Anyone have an experience with these bags or how heavy first grade book bags can be??  Thanks! 

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

Depends on the one you  get her.  You also just need to make sure she wears it properly.

lizfnf
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM

She wants this rainbow-y one from The Children's Place.  It has an extra wide padded strap but of course I would have no clue if she was wearing it properly across her body on the way home.  She's a walker as well, in case that makes any difference.  

Quoting corrinacs:

Depends on the one you  get her.  You also just need to make sure she wears it properly.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
2 moms liked this
First grade they aren't carrying a lot of heavy stuff. I would let her do it now vs middle or high school where they have heavy books.
corrinacs
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:48 PM

When you put it that way, she coudl still wear a normal backpack improperly, too.

They are super cute......the one you are referring to doesn't seem to bad.

Quoting lizfnf:

She wants this rainbow-y one from The Children's Place.  It has an extra wide padded strap but of course I would have no clue if she was wearing it properly across her body on the way home.  She's a walker as well, in case that makes any difference.  

Quoting corrinacs:

lizfnf
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 2:55 PM

It is cute!  And with their sale I could get it for under $10, and her old backpack is still in good condition so if it was too awkard I could always switch it out. 

Quoting corrinacs:

When you put it that way, she coudl still wear a normal backpack improperly, too.

They are super cute......the one you are referring to doesn't seem to bad.

Quoting lizfnf:

Quoting corrinacs:

carakitty
by Bronze Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Yes, I agree with letting her use one now, before the load gets heavy. My DD wants a new back pack so I"ll have to check out TCP to see if they have one cheap enough to convince DH.

kailu1835
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM
For first grade they don't really carry much more than a couple of folders and some papers in their bags, so I wouldn't worry about it. In the higher grades, when they start carrying books, then I wouldn't recommend it, just because all the weight is on one shoulder instead of evenly distributed on both.
calsmom62
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM
ours had binders in first. but a messenger bag should be fine
BuckeyezRule
by Laura on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:22 PM

My neighbor's dd used one in 1st grade this past year. No issues. For that matter, even ds in 4th grade never brought text books home. 

LokisMama
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I would let her use it now, while the load isn't gonna be heavy.  I tried using a messenger bag in high school and hated it, because I was hauling around heavy textbooks.  But for a first grader?  Go for it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)