Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Can pre-k offer him anything... or would it be a waste of money?

Posted by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM
  • 150 Replies
1 mom liked this

We homeschool our children (dd12, ds4, and we have a 1 year old as well).

I thought our middle child (Nico - 4) might enjoy attending a pre-k program next year (we have three Catholic schools and, between them, choice of half day or full day, depending on the school); with our eldest beginning junior high at home with me, I'm afraid he may get a bit bored when I'm working with her (I work with him as well, but he does enjoy *a lot* of attention, lol).

He already has plenty of social time, between co-op (where he is also immersed in structure, listening to other adults, etc) and gymnastics.

My concern is whether or not it would be worth it. He knows his shapes, his colors, can recognize written numbers through 10, can count to around 60 (maybe further - I haven't listened, lol), can recognize his alphabet, knows many of his letter sounds, is beginning with CVC words, can work manipulative based addition/subtraction.

First let's clear up the inevitable bash - I am NOT bragging. I know MANY other children his age who can do the exact same things, so I'm in no way trying to paint him as abnormal or gifted - he isn't. The reason I mention what he can do, is because, from what I understand, most of these things are what pre-k classes teach? I ask because that's just what I hear (grapevine!) - I'm not positive.

I'm not sure I'm fond of the idea, as much as I think he would love it, of paying $400+ a month for (essentially) a playdate (because, if it's true that these are the things taught in pre-k, that's all it would be for him).

Is there more to pre-k these days? More than playing and learning the aforementioned academic skills? I *really* think he would ENJOY it, but if all he's getting is play time and socialization, I can add more playdates in the mix, for much cheaper than private pre-k.

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2891
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 9:45 PM
2 moms liked this
I think all children need the socialization and benefits that a preschool program can offer. He would be able to build on what he already knows. A lot of places also go on field trips to different places in the area. I know my son's preschool group will be going to a local farm, an apple orchard and the zoo. It would probably be good for him, especially if you are having to focus more on his sister and her school work. Good luck!!
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:02 PM
3 moms liked this

Honestly, I doubt that he will get much out of it academically.  It would be more of a social experience for him.  I know from other posts that your family is very active and he isn't lacking is social interaction or "field trip" type trips.  Both of my boys went to pre-k program and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I still don't feel that it is necessary.

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:06 PM

We do a lot of field trips too, lol. We live downtown - so the zoo and everything are minutes away (it's great!). During the school year, he's with other children (the same children consistently) about twice a week.

I'm also confused about what is best - full day, half day, 3 days a week... they all seem to differ in what's offered! 

Did your children attend? Did they do a full 5 day week (all day)? If they did, can you tell me how their day possibly differed from a program offering half days or only 3 full days?

What do you mean by build on what he already knows? Do many pre-k programs vary (insofar as what is taught)? Should I call the different Catholic schools and ask, or do they pretty much all do/teach the same things? I'm not getting much from their websites.

What are their requirements as far as potty training goes? Our son has/had extensive serious medical issues, and is only just now potty training - he goes pee on the potty great, but is having trouble with... well, the other one, lol. He's very, very small for his age as well. I mention it because I noticed that one of the schools also offers a PreK3 program (for 3 year olds) - they may be willing to take him on even though he's 4... if it's mostly for social reasons, might that be a better idea for a child who, while cognitively fine/ahead, is physically behind (in other areas as well - not just with the potty).

Sorry for the questions! They're directed at you... and anyone else, lol!

Quoting momof2891:

I think all children need the socialization and benefits that a preschool program can offer. He would be able to build on what he already knows. A lot of places also go on field trips to different places in the area. I know my son's preschool group will be going to a local farm, an apple orchard and the zoo. It would probably be good for him, especially if you are having to focus more on his sister and her school work. Good luck!!

I am a Home Schooling, Vaccinating, Non spanking, Nightmare Cuddling, Dessert Giving, Bedtime Kissing, Book Reading, Stay at Home Mom. I believe in the benefit of organized after school activities and nosy, involved parents. I believe in spoiling my children. I believe that I have seen the village and I do not want it anywhere near my children. Now for the controversial stuff: we have traditional gender roles, we're Catholic, I'm Libertarian, he's Republican, we're both conservative, and we own guns (now there's no need to ask, lol).             Aimee

mylilprincesses
by on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM

we do pre-k instead of pre-school it prepares them for what will happen in kindergarten. here they go to public school for pre-k instead of a daycare/preschool.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Quoting steelcrazy:

Honestly, I doubt that he will get much out of it academically.  It would be more of a social experience for him.  I know from other posts that your family is very active and he isn't lacking is social interaction or "field trip" type trips.  Both of my boys went to pre-k program and thoroughly enjoyed it, but I still don't feel that it is necessary.

Exactly this. 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:11 PM

Yeah... he is still having some potty issues too (lol). I think most require he be fully potty trained too, right?

Quoting steelcrazy:

AutymsMommy
by Silver Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:12 PM

Ah. He would be coming home for kindergarten, so if the purpose of pre-k is to prepare them for brick and mortar kinder, I'm not sure it would be a good fit.

Here, public pre-k (headstart) is only offered to certain families - not everyone.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

we do pre-k instead of pre-school it prepares them for what will happen in kindergarten. here they go to public school for pre-k instead of a daycare/preschool.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:14 PM

It is the same way there too, public pre-k is only open to low income families or those whose children have learning disabilities.  Otherwise you have to pay for a private pre-k.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Ah. He would be coming home for kindergarten, so if the purpose of pre-k is to prepare them for brick and mortar kinder, I'm not sure it would be a good fit.

Here, public pre-k (headstart) is only offered to certain families - not everyone.

Quoting mylilprincesses:

MrsApple
by Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:15 PM

We did half day pre-k with our daughter.She went 3 days a week for 4 hours a day.We didn't think there was much she's learn academically as she was already writing small words and spelling and we knew she got plenty of socialization as we had play dates and lots of activities but it was a great experience for her.It did build on what she already knew and prepared her more for kindergarten rules and schedule.

But I just noticed you said you'd be homeschooling him for kindergarten...perhaps pre-k really isn't neccesary for him but I think he could still benifit from it.

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 26, 2013 at 10:16 PM

The one that my boys went to wanted them to be potty trained, diapers/pull-ups weren't permitted.  However, you could send in a change of clothes in case there was a potty emergency.

Quoting AutymsMommy:

Yeah... he is still having some potty issues too (lol). I think most require he be fully potty trained too, right?

Quoting steelcrazy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)