Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

How involved are YOU?

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 91 Replies

Are you involved with your child's education? 

I'm not talking about volunteering in the classroom, being a room mom, a PTA/PTO member or officer.  I'm talking about really and truly being involved in their education.  Do you work with the teacher to solve problems that your child is having in the classroom?  Do you help your child with homework?  Do you reinforce the school's rules at home? (Reinforce means that if they do something wrong at school, you talk about it at home, discipline them at home if necessary.  Expect them to follow the rules at school.)  Do you attend meetings and conferences?

by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Well, we homeschool so I hand pick all their curriculum, make and grade assignments, I am the teacher. I would say pretty involved.

As for the learning center they go to, I am the box top coordinator. Other than that, I sit home n play on CM...lol

Because we use a charter school, We do report.to an IST, independent study teacher, but only once a month to turn in samples and get any additional materials I ordered. I handle all the school work/stuff myself.
eSamsMama
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this
DS, going into 2nd grade, and I make homework a thing every day. He gets a packet on Friday due the next Thursday and we do 3 pages every night. Plus his spelling words and reading. His teacher acknowledged that he was the first student she ever had that got 100% on every spelling test in one year. He got special recognition from the principal at the end of year awards ceremony. He was so proud. I was prouder.
Even 10 minutes a day is worth it.
my4littlegirls
by and 1 boy on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:30 PM
I go to conferences, help with homework, email the teacher about things important to my child and I. I wish I could do field trips but sadly no babysitter for my youngers make that hard but I try to stay involved in my kids learning
periwinkle163
by Bronze Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I am involved in every aspect of my kiddos education at this point. I check their work every night, I am at the school all the time. I volunteer in the classroom and as a PTO member, which is also a form of involvement in their education.  I am in constant contact with their teachers, they know me on a first name basis. We use a similar reward/punishment system at home for consistency and unless I believe the teacher is completely out of line, I back them in their decisions. We work as a team in all things. I attend every function at the school from back to school night, to the end of the year clap-out for the 5th graders. As they get older and move on to middle school and then high-school I imagine my day to day involvement will be more advisory and less hands-on, but right now it is my job to get in there and make sure they are getting the best education they can, while learning skills to do it on their own later in life.

mami286
by on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:33 PM

i do this also. i dont home school but since school was out 6/13 i continued the same weekly procedure of homework. just the past week i gave him a break. i can be TOO INVOLVED with son and teacher adn learnign that breaks and stepping back is ok sometimes lol

Quoting eSamsMama:

DS, going into 2nd grade, and I make homework a thing every day. He gets a packet on Friday due the next Thursday and we do 3 pages every night. Plus his spelling words and reading. His teacher acknowledged that he was the first student she ever had that got 100% on every spelling test in one year. He got special recognition from the principal at the end of year awards ceremony. He was so proud. I was prouder.
Even 10 minutes a day is worth it.

Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Steel...you think anyone will really fess up and say, "you know, I ship them off each morning and after that, it isn't my problem"
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:39 PM
VERY is the short answer. I have and continue to be a huge advocate of education. I also believe that it is my job to make sure that my kids are at or above all skill levels, etc. Education is, and continues to be, a TOP priority in our house.
jaytee
by Jen on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Yes I attend conferences, help with homework, reinforce school rules, etc, etc
aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:40 PM
1 mom liked this
I would say i am very involved, it has been a hard year but we have discovered some learning disabilities that we are going through and so homework has to be hands on.

I have sat through the school day once to see how the classroom was run so i knew how to better help at home.

We have pretty open communication with the teacher and school....

Not saying there are not struggles in it all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TurboMom81
by Member on Jul. 27, 2013 at 1:41 PM
My husband does the working. I will attend meetings and email the teachers. I help with homework but DH does the tutoring.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)