Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

What Rules Do You Let Your Kids Break In The Summer?

Posted by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:23 AM
  • 20 Replies

5 Parenting Rules Made To Be Broken in Summer

by Sarah Bernard

Yes, your own desire to kick back may be part of the motivation for letting up on some of the house rules during the summer, but here's another: doing things a little differently is a way of making sure you don't let the specialness of the season pass you by. Days are longer. Yummy things are in season. There's no schoolwork to get done. And it will be gone before you know it. So, here are a few rules to break that will make your kids think you're the coolest mom ever.

1. Ice Cream only after you've eaten your vegetables. What says summer more than a melting ice cream cone in the middle of the afternoon! If your kids eat healthy meals most of the time there's no harm in letting them savor one of the simplest of summer pleasures. If you're concerned about their diet, remember it can be one scoop not the triple-decker portions many ice cream parlors automatically serve. And don't forget to get one for yourself.

2. Lights out at a reasonable hour. Even letting your kids stay up -- or stay outside-- and play a half hour longer than usual will feel like a thrill for them. It also allows you to savor that gorgeous early evening time without rushing to the finish line.

3. No shirt, no shoes, no service. Most of the time we find ourselves enforcing respectable weather-appropriate attire -- pants when it's cold, nicer shoes for an occasion. But in the summer, even a bathing suit accessorized with goggles can be a perfectly fine outfit for the day. Let the kids wear their PJs to go out to dinner or to get an ice cream treat. (See #1 above.)

4. Sleep in your own bed. This is something I'm constantly struggling with in my house. It always seems like more fun to sleep somewhere else to my kids! How about embracing that notion in the summer and letting them pitch a tent outside or take their sleeping bags into the living room for a "camp out."

5. Stick to the schedule. During the school year, kids are just as busy and over-scheduled as parents. It feels like we're always rushing to get to the next place/class/game/appointment. If you space out activities in the off season, have dinner when everyone feels like eating, not at the predetermined hour, and do away with the hurry-up-we-have-to-leave-now! agita, it will give everyone time and space to re-charge.

What rules do you let your kids break in the summer?

by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TroyboysMom
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this

All of them, at one point or another!

mom22tumblebugs
by Gold Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I let them stay out playing until 10pm with the neighborhood kids so they can socialize and play "ghosts in the graveyard." When it gets cold outside, they won't see these kids for 9 months.

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Pretty much all of them. 

boysrjoys2
by on Jul. 29, 2013 at 11:59 AM
Bedtime sometimes (fireflies and all) sleeping in own bed (we camp a lot).
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this

We have no schedule, routine, bedtime, or wake up time in the summer.  We often wear swim attire all day long.  Meal aren't always consumed at the table.  Sleeping in your bed isn't required, my boys pitch a tent (yes a real 4-person tent) in our familyroom and often sleep there.  We basically fly by the seat of our pants all summer long!

disneymom2two
by Silver Member on Jul. 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM

I wouldn't say I let my daughter break the rules but rather there are different rules during the summer than there are during the school year.  We all stay up later; I frequently go to bed around 2 am during the summer.  PJ's out at dinner are never going to happen under my watch but a bathing suit for take out after a day at the beach is fine.  

calsmom62
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 12:17 AM
ours play manhunt. lately though camp has worn out ds and he is asleep by 730.

Quoting mom22tumblebugs:

I let them stay out playing until 10pm with the neighborhood kids so they can socialize and play "ghosts in the graveyard." When it gets cold outside, they won't see these kids for 9 months.

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:00 AM

We do a lot of things different in the summer. DD's sleep schedule is all screwed up usually. She's stays up late and wakes up late. We also travel a lot so the time zone thing only adds to the oddity of the sleep schedule!

We do ice cream in the afternoons a lot. DD loves to get ice cream with lots of fun toppings. I think we eat it at least once a week in the summer.

We frequently fall asleep on the couch or in my bed as well. We'll just konk out during a movie or TV show we're watching late at night.

When we're back at home in Alabama DD basically lives in a swimsuit or a sundress and bare feet! She would live in my friend's pool if we let her -- she's a little mermaid!

Summer is just a fun time where I get to spend a lot of time with DD. I'm gone far too often with my crazy work schedule and work trips. It's nice in the summer to be able to bring her along. She doesn't have school or dance or gymnastics or homework and we can spend the whole day having fun instead of worrying about her reading log or jazz private! I miss her during the school year and I want our summers to be fun and relaxing and exciting all at the same time!

KRIZZ25
we try to make excuses for ower kids bad behavior. when its ower fault for letting it happen in first place.we need to show them how to behave. dont make excuses ..make solutions ..
Yesterday at 9:54 PM
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 1:02 AM
all rules out the window ..naa not all..we let few fly but most we stick wth .
story0702
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 7:02 AM
Pretty much all of them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)