Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Your Own Laptop at 10 years Old????

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 102 Replies

Maybe I am just an overly strict parent, but do you think that a 10 year old should have their own laptop?  I certainly do not think they are quite old enough for something like that.  I'm barely ok with getting DS a Kindle Fire & he will be 10 yrs old in November.

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
liels898
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:35 AM

DD is 8 and has a laptop. Internet is disabled however. I actually like the idea of younger kids having a laptop, at 10+ they'll probably be writing papers for school and they should have a working knowledge of how to do so by that age. She knows how to open a word document and type pretty efficiently and she has a few games she can play on there. Plus, she likes writing poems, that's her current thing at least, and she says typing them up and printing them off makes her feel like an adult. If she wants to go on the internet, however, she has to use the family computer in our office with me in there. 

AJ-47
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:36 AM
No, I don't think they should. That's so over the top.
SaraBethKY
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I had my own computer through most of elementary school. At that time though we didn't have internet so there was no chance of me stumbing across something I shouldn't or having creepers try to talk to me. I used it for typing letters to my cousins and playing games. 

ms.keisha17
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this
My dd is 6 and for xmas I'm buying her very own laptop. I can't never get her off mines.
steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't understand what the difference is between a 10 year old having a table and a laptop?  My boys have their own desktop, and they've had one of their own since they were toddlers.  By 10 my oldest was needing a computer to research and write reports for school.  So long as you have parental controls set up and rule about when an where they can be on the intenet, I don't see it as a problem.

xtwistedxlovex
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
With major restrictions, sure. My 6yo has one for his own use; I configured it to allow him to only use certain programs, no internet, can't access system files, etc. No need to stare over his shoulder and make sure he isn't getting into something that would be bad for him or the computer. He doesn't get free access - I actually set it to lock him out much of the time - but is able to freely navigate within the confines I've set and work on his computer skills. It isn't by any means a new laptop though, just an old junk one that someone was giving away. New electronics for kids seems like an expensive accident waiting to happen.
JenniL05
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
My 6 year old has a laptop but it's mainly because I got a new one after my 2 year old ripped half the buttons off of it. :P I have since got the buttons fixed so it's in pretty decent shape. That said though, he knows he has to ask first, he has a list of approved websites and he never uses it out of my sight.
jamianne
by Silver Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Our 4 & 6 year old share a laptop.  It's dh's old one and we took all his files off of it and loaded programs for the kids.  We keep the WiFi turned off unless they ask to go to a specific site.  We have rules about its use and so far, they've been good about following them.

ReadWriteLuv
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:48 AM

My 10 year old has a laptop, an iPhone, and a Kindle.

jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:55 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids use my old computer. But it's everyone's. We all use it and that's how anything will be. If we were to have a tablet or anything else.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)