Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

School clothes

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM
  • 57 Replies

How many outfits do you typically buy your child for back to school shopping?
Where are your favorite places to shop for kid's clothes? What stores do your kiddos prefer?
Do you shop sales or use coupons when buying school clothes?

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 2:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Mine wear uniforms, so they have several shirts/pants/skirts to wear. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:27 PM

I don't do clothes back to school shopping, per se. I buy clothes as he outgrows them. I make sure he has at least a week's worth of clothes to wear. Usually he has enough for two weeks or more because he's a slow grower.

We shop at Target, Kohl's, and JC Penneys mainly for clothes. I shop at Lands End sometimes too for outer wear, especially their winter jackets.

I shop sales and clearance. We have Super Targets here, so I sometimes pop by the boys section while grocery shopping to check out the current clearance deals.

LoneStarrLady
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:31 PM
I have no idea!! My dd is starting kinder. I've always bought the majority of her clothes from second hand stores. But now I'm worried that she'll be teased. We can afford better, but why spend the money when she doesn't care & it can be saved? I'm thinking we'll go to The Children's Place, Target, and Cavander's.
Barabell
by Barbara on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:34 PM

Quoting LoneStarrLady:

I have no idea!! My dd is starting kinder. I've always bought the majority of her clothes from second hand stores. But now I'm worried that she'll be teased. We can afford better, but why spend the money when she doesn't care & it can be saved? I'm thinking we'll go to The Children's Place, Target, and Cavander's.

I have a son, and I know that the boys could have cared less at that age where the clothes came from. I couldn't tell the difference between my son's clearance shirt versus a name brand shirt that a peer might have worn.

LoneStarrLady
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:39 PM
Clearance is one thing. Previously owned is another. I've got no personal issues with second hand shopping, I think it's fun & all. But we're in an affluent community. I don't want her teased for having. "Goodwill" clothes when we are able to provide better.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting LoneStarrLady:

I have a son, and I know that the boys could have cared less at that age where the clothes came from. I couldn't tell the difference between my son's clearance shirt versus a name brand shirt that a peer might have worn.

stephiebugg
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:42 PM

I think picking up some staple items- some jeans, leggings, basic things that no one would notice as being previously owned would probably still be okay.

Quoting LoneStarrLady:

Clearance is one thing. Previously owned is another. I've got no personal issues with second hand shopping, I think it's fun & all. But we're in an affluent community. I don't want her teased for having. "Goodwill" clothes when we are able to provide better.

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting LoneStarrLady:

arthistmom
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Same here. Though with shoes, the boys seem to need a new pair around the beginning of school, so that's the only "back to school" item I really buy.

Quoting Barabell:

I don't do clothes back to school shopping, per se. I buy clothes as he outgrows them. I make sure he has at least a week's worth of clothes to wear. 

LoneStarrLady
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:45 PM
I totally agree! As I look in get closet I see that her clothes are mostly "play clothes". They're older, piled, faded. She just needs some stuff that doesn't look so hand-me-down. I'm not going crazy over it when I just dropped a ton filling her supply list.

Quoting stephiebugg:

I think picking up some staple items- some jeans, leggings, basic things that no one would notice as being previously owned would probably still be okay.

Quoting LoneStarrLady:

Quoting Barabell:

Quoting LoneStarrLady:

stephiebugg
by Bronze Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM

I don't know how much to buy.
I shop at Target and Walmart for basics- some jeans, leggings, plain long/short sleeved shirts, undies, socks.
I supplement the wardrobe with stuff from Old Navy, Children's Place, Crazy 8, Gymboree, JC Penney. I shop sales and clearances. I also pick up a few clothes at the end of each season, super cheap. I typically get a size bigger than what they wear at the time I buy it so it'll fit.

agrisham13mom
by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 3:48 PM
My son will be wearing uniforms this year, I bought him 8 uniform shirts and several pairs of shorts and pants.. I will buy more as he needs them.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)