Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

my 9 year old refuses to eat*update

Posted by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM
  • 15 Replies

IDK what to do, he will only eat junk, so I stopped buying the junk, and told him he has no choice but to eat what we have and he has to get use to it, and he wont do it, he will just tell me"no im not hungry then" and walk away, i beg and plead but nothing...hes thin but hes not like super thin to where the doc thinks its a problem.  but IDK what to do....I tell him to have a bowl of rice crispies and add a little sugar they arent so bad..but nothing! i cant force food down this throat, so what am i suppose to do? any suggestions before i call his dr crying!?

UPDATE
I did the whole shopping idea today, though we didnt actually go shopping, we picked up a few things we needed, so instead of pop tarts he got cerial, i know its not too much better but im taking baby steps.  Im also going to get toaster strudles instead of pop tarts all together. He likes to make his own breakfast in the am(makes him feel like an adult) but the only thing he is allowed to use is the toaster.. so I will see where this takes me! 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

by on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:55 PM

He will eventually eat. Take him grocery shopping with you. Let him pick things, within reason, and explain that if he picks it then he must eat it.

mistressflora
by Member on Jul. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM

i have no idea why i never thought of this! haha thanks so much!

Quoting mjande4:

He will eventually eat. Take him grocery shopping with you. Let him pick things, within reason, and explain that if he picks it then he must eat it.

MaddieLainesMom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:06 AM

Can you replace the junk he was eating with healthy alternatives that still can seem a little junky? Rice crispy treats, granola bars, goldfish crackers, etc. Or gradually start adding in healthy foods while keeping some of the junk so it's not so drastic? Have chicken nuggets/hotdogs/hamburgers with a healthy side. Or you can make alternatives to the unhealthy processed food that's still the same thing. Make your own chicken nuggets or hamburgers (you can mix veggies in the meat), make burritos, have a taco bar! You can make the healthy eating fun! I haven't had this issue with my DD, but my mom did with me. She would mix veggies into everything I ate (spaghetti sauce, corndog batter, etc.) It wasn't that I didn't like the taste, but seeing big chunks of the veggies in my food turned me off!

mjande4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:08 AM
1 mom liked this

They make "kid's cookbooks" too so that might be a "fun" way for him to get involved in what's being served.

mistressflora
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

this is also a good idea, and i can def try, his main thing is pop tarts and ramen noddles.  so i just stopped buying them. 

Quoting MaddieLainesMom:

Can you replace the junk he was eating with healthy alternatives that still can seem a little junky? Rice crispy treats, granola bars, goldfish crackers, etc. Or gradually start adding in healthy foods while keeping some of the junk so it's not so drastic? Have chicken nuggets/hotdogs/hamburgers with a healthy side. Or you can make alternatives to the unhealthy processed food that's still the same thing. Make your own chicken nuggets or hamburgers (you can mix veggies in the meat), make burritos, have a taco bar! You can make the healthy eating fun! I haven't had this issue with my DD, but my mom did with me. She would mix veggies into everything I ate (spaghetti sauce, corndog batter, etc.) It wasn't that I didn't like the taste, but seeing big chunks of the veggies in my food turned me off!

frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:13 AM

you want him to eat healthy yet tell him to put sugar on cereal?  You need to lead by example so make sure you are trying new healthier foods as well.   What types of healthy foods does he like and what types of junk food does he like?   You can usually make healthified recipes of many junk food type foods.

mistressflora
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:25 AM
I was telling him to add a pinch of sugar so he would eat something a little healthier than he has been, I have nothing but healthier foods in my house bc I am watching my weight and i have totally changed my eating habits, the only junk i had were pop tarts and Ramon and the only reason i had the ramon was bc i was short in money one week and since it was cheap i picked up a box. and I only continued to buy the pop tarts was bc my husband would grab one on the way to work if he didnt have time to make something. But they are not in the house anymore, he doesnt really like anything healthy but peas. He likes pasta, but thats not really healthy either
Quoting frndlyfn:

you want him to eat healthy yet tell him to put sugar on cereal?  You need to lead by example so make sure you are trying new healthier foods as well.   What types of healthy foods does he like and what types of junk food does he like?   You can usually make healthified recipes of many junk food type foods.

Belovedmoonpixi
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:41 AM

my pedi always said no kid will go hungry if there is food in the house... If your kid only eats junk food, perhaps you could start by home-cooking the "junk food" so that it´s healthier than the pre-packaged/ processed stuff. My kid first tried chicken patties from a box at a friends house when she was about 9... until the, whe had chicken patties made at home. Those are easy, for example. You use chopped up cooked chicken, form it into patties, cover that in beaten egg, cover in bread crumbs. My mom used to then fry them, but I guess you could bake them if you want to make them healthier. Make the change more gradual... 

AmiJanell
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM
Have him help plan the meals, shop with you and cook. You can find all kinds of healthy alternatives to junk food... Check out Pinterest for ideas... I know a friend of mine made homemade poptarts... Remind him they won't be the same exact thing... But a fun thing to try. And like others have said... Phase the junk out with time... Maybe make it the prize for now... If he tries a new food everyday at the end of the week he can have a treat. After awhile he will learn to like all kinds of foods and the junk won't be so appealing.
I wouldn't beg or plead with him to eat... Don't play the game... He can choose to eat or go hungry he's old enough to make those choices, he won't starve.... He will learn that you aren't going to cave.
frndlyfn
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 12:56 AM
1 mom liked this

Pasta can be very healthy when you add a sauce rich with veggies.  A tomato based sauce can "hide"alot of different pureed veggies in it.   There are recipes for homemade poptarts that you can make your own less sugar filling. 

My dd is picky but TG she loves her fruits.  Apples, grapes, melon, berries.  We have made a beef stew and turned it into a gravy for her to put over mashed potatos.  For the mashed potatoes we do half potatoes and half mashed cauliflower in the bowl mixed together.

Quoting mistressflora:

I was telling him to add a pinch of sugar so he would eat something a little healthier than he has been, I have nothing but healthier foods in my house bc I am watching my weight and i have totally changed my eating habits, the only junk i had were pop tarts and Ramon and the only reason i had the ramon was bc i was short in money one week and since it was cheap i picked up a box. and I only continued to buy the pop tarts was bc my husband would grab one on the way to work if he didnt have time to make something. But they are not in the house anymore, he doesnt really like anything healthy but peas. He likes pasta, but thats not really healthy either
Quoting frndlyfn:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)