Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

My sons school is AWESOME

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:07 AM
  • 21 Replies
2 moms liked this
My son is 5, starting kindergarten. He's special needs and has a seizure alert dog. She will be attending school with him. The school is beyond excited to have his service dog come. They got her a mat and dog bowl for the classroom next to our sons desk and it even has her name on a tag like the kids desks do! We got to see it at the meet and greet last night. They are so awesome!

They are going to have a whole school assembly educating the students on service dogs and introducing our sons dog since she will be on campus. They are excited for their students to be exposed to this. We are excited to spread awareness and knowledge about it.

The first day of school (which is tomorrow!!) our son and us will give a presentation to his class about his feeding tube and pump and other medical stuff he needs and will have with him so the kids know :)
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WandaSue
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

thats awesome!

endurablemist
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
That is really cool!
Chelsey191
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:17 AM
1 mom liked this
That's so cool.
jen113000
by Jenna on Jul. 31, 2013 at 7:59 AM
2 moms liked this
That's great! Hope he has a great year!
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:03 PM
Its so neat! I'm so excited for him to start tomorrow!
momtoBrenna
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I hope that all goes well and that your little guy enjoys school. :)

aetrom
by Gold Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 4:49 PM
1 mom liked this
How fun and yeah for being proactive and taking the time to present to the kidsso they can understand!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Jinx-Troublex3
by Platinum Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 5:40 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds great! Hope.they have a wonderful year.
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:16 PM

My son is very open about his stuff, granted its mostly all he knows and to him that is normal, he doesn't 100% realize yet that he is different which is just fine with us, LOL! But he likes to show people his tube and stuff so we figured this would be the best way, and kids are curious, they wanna know stuff and ask questions so why not give them the opportunity? :) 

We went to the meet and greet last night and a kid in his classroom was hilarious! His eyes got all big and he says "dogs are allowed here? WOW!" lol, so we told him she was a special dog and he just said "oh!" and runs off haha

Quoting aetrom:

How fun and yeah for being proactive and taking the time to present to the kidsso they can understand!

steelcrazy
by Emerald Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

That is awesome!  One of the teachers at our HS trains service dogs, so there is almost always at least one dog on campus.  The kids love it.  Our HS and elementary school are next door to each other, so the elementary kids see the dog fairly often too.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)