Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I make him care?

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM
  • 15 Replies
Ds is eight and doesn't care about any of his stuff. I cleaned his room last week (closet, got rid of toys, organized his video game containers). I told him if video games were not put back I would take them away again. He got them back last week after not having them for a month and will be losing them today. For the first time ever he misplaced 2 library movies. How do I get him to take care of his things? I have punished him, taken things away, time out.
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:53 AM

It's really hard to make someone care about anything, I think.  About all you can do is what you are doing - and perhaps make him earn the money to pay for the library movies.  Either it eventually sinks in, or he just doesn't get that stuff.

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM
I wish it would sink in faster. I told him he'll need to start doing more chores to replace things. He just doesn't seem to care.

Quoting GwenMB:

It's really hard to make someone care about anything, I think.  About all you can do is what you are doing - and perhaps make him earn the money to pay for the library movies.  Either it eventually sinks in, or he just doesn't get that stuff.

abecee
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Only one thing (toy, movie, game, etc)at a time.  Create a check out/in system.  Until he returns the previous one he can't have anything else.
Sounds great typing but a lot more difficult to actual do.  Good Luck

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, I would never have thought of this. I'll have to make sure his dad is willing to enforce it (his dad works from home and is the primary caregiver).

Quoting abecee:

Only one thing (toy, movie, game, etc)at a time.  Create a check out/in system.  Until he returns the previous one he can't have anything else.

scoleman828
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:06 AM
I am having this problem with my almost 8 year old DD as well. It is SO FRUSTRATING! Good luck mama, if you find something that works, let me know! Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:07 AM

It would definitely be frustrating!  I would try to avoid lecturing (if you have the tendency toward that like I do) and just matter of factly tell him what he needs to do to replace things/earn them back.

Quoting cjsmom1:

I wish it would sink in faster. I told him he'll need to start doing more chores to replace things. He just doesn't seem to care.

Quoting GwenMB:

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM
So glad it's not just me. I was sitting here wondering what I did wrong that he just doesn't care.

Quoting scoleman828:

I am having this problem with my almost 8 year old DD as well. It is SO FRUSTRATING! Good luck mama, if you find something that works, let me know! Lol

cjsmom1
by Silver Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM
I tend to lecture way too much.

Quoting GwenMB:

It would definitely be frustrating!  I would try to avoid lecturing (if you have the tendency toward that like I do) and just matter of factly tell him what he needs to do to replace things/earn them back.

Quoting cjsmom1:

Quoting GwenMB:

GwenMB
by Gwen on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:30 AM

That does sound like a great idea - but potentially a huge pain in the neck.

Quoting abecee:

abecee
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Definitely would be a pain in the neck 

Quoting GwenMB:

That does sound like a great idea - but potentially a huge pain in the neck.

Quoting abecee:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)