Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Elementary School Kids Elementary School Kids

Armed Teachers Will Greet Students on Their First Day of School This Year

Posted by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
  • 16 Replies

** Even though the article is about a high school, I believe it is worth discussing in this group*

Armed Teachers Will Greet Students on Their First Day of School This Year

by April Daniels Hussar

gunPencils, lesson plan books, red pens, and ... guns! Yep, when teachers, administrators, and other employees at Clarksville High School in Arkansas head back to class next month, a full 20 of those school staffers and teachers will be armed with guns. Guns that the school district paid for. 

What are these people thinking?!

Well, apparently they're thinking this is a good way to spend money -- to the tune of a $1,100 stipend per person to buy the handguns and holsters, plus $50,000 for ammunition and "training." They're also thinking this is a good way to keep their students safe. I know plenty of people will applaud this move, but I could not disagree more.

I have so many questions about this, not the least of which is: Where are these guns going to be secured? What location could they be in where it would be TOTALLY IMPOSSIBLE for students to access them, but where they'd still be handy enough for those teachers to reach in the event of an emergency? Or are they actually going to stand at the front of a class and teach English and math with a holster containing a loaded gun?

And who is going to decide what kind of emergency warrants, say, a history teacher drawing a weapon? Is it only against an "outside threat"? What if a fight breaks out in class and the teacher feels threatened? The chances of an attack like the tragic Sandy Hook massacre are very, very slim compared to all of the issues that arise on a daily basis. Kids become unhinged; they can get aggressive or seem violent ... that's just par for the course. TWENTY concealed weapons in one high school sounds like a recipe for disaster. Guns shouldn't be in the mix. At all.

Yes, yes, I understand that it's not the inanimate object of a gun that can kill; it's the gun in the hands of the wrong person that kills. Duh. But who's deciding who gets to bring these concealed weapons to school? And how are these educators going to be trained? Isn't this the kind of thing that should be left to police officers and actual security guards? Can whatever training that's being provided guarantee that that there is NO way students -- or anyone else for that matter -- can access these weapons? That these teachers will make the right decisions 100 percent of the time? Will this training guarantee that, heaven forbid, no student will be accidentally shot?

I don't believe that all guns should be outlawed, but I do believe in sensible regulation and gun control. And I sure as hell don't think a school is any place for 20 concealed weapons.

Would you feel comfortable if the teachers in your school carried concealed weapons?

by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 11:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
soymujer
by Mikki on Jul. 31, 2013 at 1:53 PM

With the Newtown shooting this has been brought up.  I'm afraid that what if it's the teacher that goes berserk?  I mean, we all have our bad days and I doubt that will happen but you hear about teachers that throw things at students and all.  What if a student really pushed a button and without thinking, grabbed their gun?  Probably not likely but scary to think about.

family in the van   Mom of four

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:02 PM
1 mom liked this

If it is an area that warrants it, good. 

Think about people don't walk into places where they stand a decent chance of shots being returned. 

sarah824
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:20 PM
1 mom liked this

I would feel more comfortable than I do now if my kids' teachers were armed. Our school is set up in such a way that you can get to ANY part of the school without going anywhere near the front office. 1/2 of the school is on one side of the street while the other 1/2 in on the other side.

Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:23 PM

Would you feel comfortable if the teachers in your school carried concealed weapons?

Yes, I would feel more comfortable knowing the teachers had the guns, rather than if the criminal had it...

annelauer
by on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:27 PM
This is idiotic and if our kids' schools did this, I would pull them out immediately. They are WAY more likely to be harmed by the guns than protected by them. That money should have been appropriated differently. This is a disaster waiting to happen.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Quoting soymujer:

With the Newtown shooting this has been brought up.  I'm afraid that what if it's the teacher that goes berserk?  I mean, we all have our bad days and I doubt that will happen but you hear about teachers that throw things at students and all.  What if a student really pushed a button and without thinking, grabbed their gun?  Probably not likely but scary to think about.

Not likely to happen. And as I think about it, the guns will probably be locked up somewhere, not in a holster. (which defeats the purpose of having a gun) 

There will continue to be a lot of debate.

pj2becca21
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:47 PM

I would be very happy if my daughter school did this 

Mom2jngnc
by Stephannie on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:51 PM

Quoting annelauer:

This is idiotic and if our kids' schools did this, I would pull them out immediately. They are WAY more likely to be harmed by the guns than protected by them. That money should have been appropriated differently. This is a disaster waiting to happen.

prepare to pull them.... 

many upper schools (in my rural area even) have SRO's (School Resource Officers) which are either current police officers assigned to a school or retired officers, all of which carry as part of the job.

mhaney03
by Bronze Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:53 PM

Fine with me, I homeschool and am armed.

anotherguatmom
by Member on Jul. 31, 2013 at 2:59 PM

Oh hell no!  My kids wouldn't be attending school there.  I wouldn't have a problem with armed guards but, armed teachers is another story.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN